Author Topic: STATE LAND  (Read 5067 times)

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
STATE LAND
« on: Oct 19, 2008, 11:36:30 AM »
Three of us are heading up to maple rapids and are gonna get as for back in as possible,we all have doe permits for that area and should be able to take something(buck or doe)home to the hangin tree.Wish us luck,good luck to everybody heading out today! There starting to take the corn down around me so,should start seeing more deer.Are they taking corn down where you are at?

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
Re: STATE LAND
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2008, 08:07:53 PM »
It turned out to be a great hunt,mainly because i hunted with me brother and nephew!The weather was great!We all seen deer,my nephew took a 3 point and it was a nice deer.A great day!Anybody else have any luck this weekend?

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »
I can't even get out for hunting yet. Too much work and school. I am going out for a couple weekends for firearm.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »
Nice work!! Even better the deer was taken on state property!  The weekend weather was GREAT as you said! Love this cold weather.... Corn up north is perty much all gone except for our 5 acre field on the 66 lease farm.  Corn around home is for the most part still standing just waiting for a few fields to be taken off and we should be good! good luck the rest of the season!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Hollywood703

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2008, 10:45:41 PM »
have seen a few each time i have been out.....will be taking the next deer in shooting range to get one in the freezer. Hoping to Fill both doe Tags and the combo license.

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
My nephew and i went back to the state land yesterday and he filled his public land doe permit,sure is nice to see the smile on his face after a successful hunt!My brother and i are heading back up to the state land for the evening hunt tonight.Will post tomarrow how it goes tonight!Good luck to all!

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »
Next year I need to get out and scout the state land more so I can find more deer on it. Do you cut your own shooting lanes on the state land or do you just look for openings to set up?

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »
We just look for natural openings but,there is always a couple of small branches that get trimmed.It's my understanding that there is NO cutting of shooting lanes or trimming of trees on state land.So we try and keep it to a minimum.We only hunt it early bow and muzzleloader season's.I have seen alot of deer everytime we have been there,we have taken a 3 point and two does this week!

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2008, 05:46:57 PM »
We just look for natural openings but,there is always a couple of small branches that get trimmed.It's my understanding that there is NO cutting of shooting lanes or trimming of trees on state land.So we try and keep it to a minimum.We only hunt it early bow and muzzleloader season's.I have seen alot of deer everytime we have been there,we have taken a 3 point and two does this week!
I didn't think you were allowed to cut anything. Good job on the deer. Hopefully i have some luck opening day for firearm.

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »
Bgreen02 you are correct,not supposed to cut anything!Thats why we keep it to a minimium,dead branches are pretty much the only thing we move!Today was the first day we didn't see any deer!We sat out in the rain this evening and didn't see a thing!O'well thats hunting!I think i'm gonna hunt my eaton rapids spot for a few days before heading back to the state land.Good luck opening day of firearm,what area are you hunting?

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:31:37 AM »
We hunt up by hillman on some private land up there. Last year there were  a ton of bucks. Most we had seen in years up there. Hopefully it holds through for this year to but I am picking up anterless tag as well for opening day. They have the rule that on opening day you stay in the blind all day, no breaks.

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
We do the same thing opening day of firearm season,pack some food and sit all day.There is no better place to be then in the woods!Hillman,is that up by manistee?

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »
Its west of Alpena right over by Fletchers. Went to sight in gun today and scope is off way off. It was fine for a bit then started shooting at 100 yards and made adjustments and it was way off. went back to other settings and it is still not even close. need to go out another day and get it sighted in soon.

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
I gotta get to the range also and sight in the new scope i put on my muzzleloader.I use my loader during firearm season,unless were pushing then i brake out the mossberg!Good luck with the scope!Was it all good last year?

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »
didn't shoot it last year but year before it was good. maybe it is not seated correctly

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal