Author Topic: I'll start it off  (Read 4514 times)

Offline skulldugary

• Nubbie
I'll start it off
« on: Oct 09, 2004, 07:58:54 AM »
I see there is no topics for Michigan so I'll start it off.How's the deer hunting been going for you guys?I shot a doe the 6th to take a little of the pressure off and to put some meat in the freezer,now I can buckle down and hunt for horns.I'm not too crazy about hunting the first of the season,I like it better the two weeks before gun opens,more buck activity if you know what I mean.Join in guys with some reports..........

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
Re: I'll start it off
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2004, 09:30:06 AM »
    I got started  10/06 in Ohio with a decent 7 point it was quite a bit smaller than what I thought (ground shrink) but hey a buck with a bow the 1st week of the season who can complain??? I headed north for a long weekend with the wife and kids without any expectations.  Saturday was spent scouting, checking stands,  and taking the kids to the creek to watch the salmon.  It has been probably 25 years since I first saw the salmon run and I still am amazed every year.  The kids really got a kick out of being so close to these huge fish.  Sunday we had to go back to the fish as my wife wanted to see them.  Sunday afternoon I flipped a coin to pick which stand to hunt tails won and I got set up to hunt the neighbors 80 acres agian without high hopes as the neighbors hunted opening weekend and did not see a single deer between the 3 of them.  I jumped 2 out walking into my stand but around 7:00 I had one come in from downwind but seemed to be inside my scent "cone".  It came straight at me so I had no shot.  It was a decent spike,  he turned broadside and I let him have it.  He crashed off.  I relaxed a few minutes to gather myself and climbed down to find my arrow covered with blood.  I walked back to the cabin had a beer got the kids, my dad, and the trailer hooked up to the four-wheeler.  We were ready to go !!!!!   We got to my stand and found little blood,  I tracked about 2 hours in the dark and only got about 60 yards from the stand,  I was starting to question how good he was hit.  We gave up the the trail until 8 am the next morning.  (the nighttime temps we in the low 30s so no worries on spoilage but many worries about the coyotes I lost one to them about 3 years ago)  My dad and I picked up the trail and it was'nt great but better in the daylight.  I stayed on the faint trail and had my dad circle out about 50 yards ahead of me.  By the way this was the first time my dad ever tracked a deer he gun hunted a little years ago but never with a  bow and I don't think he ever got one.  Anyway we followed for about 200 yards when he yelled I found it!!!!!  I think he was more excited than I was !!  Maybe this will get him into hunting since he retired this spring.  I gutted him and we dragged it to the trailer rode back to the cabin and hung him up for photos.  Now that I have 2 on the ground I can really try to focus on a monster,  although I don't think my chances are that good up there as I have only seen about 5 really good bucks in 25 years of hunting and shinning the fields at night but you never know.  I also have a doe tag to fill and this weekend all my buddies are coming up for a 4 day week-end (one all the way from North Carolina) for our annual hunt.  My plan is to be camp cook, beer drinker,  and guide to help them fill their tags.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2004, 10:45:31 AM »
Congrats on the hunts and kills!

We get great salmon runs as well and they are fantastic to watch. We have pike and walleye runs that are much similiar to the salmon runs.

You mentioned a point in your post I wanted to touch on.....

Now that I have 2 on the ground I can really try to focus on a monster,  although I don't think my chances are that good up there as I have only seen about 5 really good bucks in 25 years of hunting and shinning the fields at night but you never know.

Take a look at QDM (Quality Deer Management) and the QDMA (Quality Deer Management Association)
This plan will surely let you see more quality bucks and even monsters. When a plan is instituted and followed results follow in as little as one year but good results show for sure in two years.

I started doing this myself and the quality bucks has rose big time.

Just a thought.

Jon

Offline skulldugary

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2004, 11:17:34 AM »
Congradulations,glad to find out I'm not the only hunter in Michigan,was begining to wonder since no one was posting here.The bucks are'nt moving that much right now around here,did see a 7 point that was probably 16-17" wide but was 60yds out.Things ought to pick up in a couple of weeks when the rut starts............good luck..........Gary

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2004, 08:57:31 AM »
    Went back up for 4 days with my 3 buddies.   The weather was horrible !!!!  Wind and rain the whole trip. I only saw 3 deer the whole time the wind really shut them down.  I think the 4 of us only saw 11 deer total.  My buddy from South Carolina did take a small doe the final morning hunt so it was'nt a total bust.  We normally go the 1st week in Nov. but they wanted to try the early season this year.  Next year we decided to go back to our Nov. dates,  the rut is heating up then and we have had alot better luck.

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2004, 12:28:40 PM »
    Went back up for some bowhunting prior to gun starting.  The 1st evening had a decent (for up there) 6 pt. come in to my doe in heat.  Friday evening had 2 does come through right at the end of legal shooting time so no shot.  Saturday and Sunday jumped 2 going into the stand but that was it.  Opening day of gun I shot a doe at 7:40 she came through with 6 other does and a spike.  My buddy missed a 6pt and an 8 pt. Saw 2 more does on tuesday and that was it.  Out of the 20 or so guys I know in the area not one other guy even saw a buck.  By the way I would love to get into a QDM program but I hunt almost all public land so any deer I pass generally gets drilled by someone else.  I would love to see Mich. put more restrictions on antler size.   I only saw one 8 pt on the way home (4 hrs drive) and the rest were spikes and 4 pts and that is out of 30 or more deer.   I would even be willing to go to 1 buck tag like Ohio.  That really makes you think before you shoot.  By the way the doe did come from our neighbors property on a private land doe permit,  so I still have my restricted tag left but am not too confident on seeing an 8 pt or better.

Offline skulldugary

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2004, 05:09:14 PM »
Saw, what part of Mich.are you hunting?

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2004, 12:14:16 PM »
     Lake county.  Near the town of Irons which is about 1/2 way between Manistee and Cadillac.

Offline angola_guy20

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »
the one buck tag sounds good but it really doenst help there are still people taking button bucks and bucks with antlers under 3 inches. I hunt private and public property and since this new rule had been put in i see alot more little bucks that people shot just cause they have antlers then leave to waste away cause they dont want to waste there buck tag on somthing that little.............. anyone else notice things like this?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal