Author Topic: Early Goose Season  (Read 4067 times)

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
Early Goose Season
« on: Aug 30, 2004, 05:53:58 PM »
Well who's planning on getting out for some geese in the near future?  I plan on starting this falls season off with a bang...bang, bang  ;D at a few of our resident Canada's.  From what I've seen there are good numbers around (as usual) and should provide some early season fun.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
Re: Early Goose Season
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2004, 08:06:07 AM »
Will be out in NY tomarrow!

8 a day is the limit now!

Time to fire up the 870!

Good Luck.

Jon

(Check out the waterfowl board, there is pics there)

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2004, 02:37:44 PM »
Yup, can't wait. Have to work, but the boy and I will be out Thurs and Fri!!
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2004, 11:25:52 AM »
venisonman,

How did you and your son do?

Jon

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2004, 01:45:14 PM »
Jon,

Thanks for asking.

Thursday we were overridden by the Queen of the roost. We ended up going to the State Fair.
I don't mind giving in too much at this time of year. Once duck and deer open she knows she won't get her way. Its worked well for 16 years that way!

Friday, couldn't get the boy up after the State Fair. We hunted a river spot in the evening hoping to intercept a local flock coming back to roost. We saw em fly by but could'nt swing em into shooting range.

This spot is awesome  once the weather cools or the migrating flocks start, even more so when the ponds and backwaters start to freeze. During the early, warm weather it can be hit or miss. I really need to find and get permission to some field hunts. I think we are going to try again Sunday. He'll be in school, but I'll be out Friday trying to get a better fix on their travel routes and times.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2004, 02:17:28 PM »
....but I'll be out Friday trying to get a better fix on their travel routes and times.

Boy its been tough this year for me. Early season seems to always be hit or miss but this year dang I just can't find the fields they are using. I have traveled around my block so many times it is mind boggling. I can hear geese but can not find for the life of me the field they are using.

Sunday I hunted in a differant spot. The fog was so thick we could not see the geese and they were close. Fog never lifted until 10AM. Got three shots off all morning. Yesterday went to the same spot and had 7 flocks fly around. They wanted no part of decoying or calling. Strange for sure.

The last 2 weeks is where its at. The best is still coming. Good luck.

Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal