Author Topic: Slates  (Read 3648 times)

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
Slates
« on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:37:04 PM »
Looking for personal preferences on slates. I am getting a new one this year so looking for some accommodations please

Offline bamaboy

• Forked
TalkHunting Magazine Pro Staff    www.talkhunting.com
UFA Member   www.unitedforumsassoc.com

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Slates
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »
I have 3-4 different slates, most I acquired used. They all work about the same once sanded properly. Only sand a slate in one direction. I like the sound of the slate a lot but moisture isn't it's friend.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »
H.S Strut lil deuce works great. Its a glass call that has a great tone. You can keep the call quiet or get it to make louder pitches. Great for clucks and purrs.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2011, 04:40:09 PM »
I mostly use a mouth call, but the one slate call I do carry is the Lynch Jet Turkey Call. It's really small and makes a sweet soft yelp and nice purrs. It was given to me by the guy that taught me about hunting turkeys, he's been at it over 40 yrs.

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »
I like using multiple surfaces

Here's the one I use:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/quaker-boy-triple-threat-turkey-call.aspx?a=383758

Only sand a slate in one direction.
Didn't know that,  prob why I struggle with it sometimes   Have to experiment a little this spring
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2011, 04:57:10 PM by Issiah »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »
I was having a hard time getting mine back to working well the first time I sanded it. My father told me to only sand in one direction and it made a world of difference. If the slate has a tab or something that helps you hold it the same way every time sand perpendicular to the direction you strike it. For me it's 10-4 O'clock.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »
They all seem to have a "sweet spot" that sounds the best.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »
I like using multiple surfaces

Here's the one I use:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/quaker-boy-triple-threat-turkey-call.aspx?a=383758
 Didn't know that,  prob why I struggle with it sometimes   Have to experiment a little this spring

Whats the difference between striking surfaces?

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
http://www.quakerboy.com/productdetail.cfm?product_id=390

Triple Threat has slate, aluminum, and plexiglass.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »
You'll get different slightly different pitch in your calling,  changes it up,  can sound like more than one bird

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
Most of the difference is pitch. The different types have pros and cons though. Slate doesn't work when damp but I think sounds the best. My father has an aluminum call that sounds good and works when wet but it's the only one I've seen like it. I like my ceramic it's easy to use and sounds good. My glass one sounded good although not the easiest to use, but I found it had broke a couple weeks ago?

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2011, 07:09:36 PM »
I use custom ones from close calls, but honestly get yourself a glass and a slate...you can use the glass when its wet out! nice variances in tones too...experiment with different strikers as well.
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
ordered the triple threat ready to hear it

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
I mostly use a mouth call, but the one slate call I do carry is the Lynch Jet Turkey Call. It's really small and makes a sweet soft yelp and nice purrs. It was given to me by the guy that taught me about hunting turkeys, he's been at it over 40 yrs.

Had one of these. Great little call. Loaned it to a friend, never saw it again... ;D OH well, he is at least still hunting birds with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal