Author Topic: talking turkey, mouth call reviews?  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
talking turkey, mouth call reviews?
« on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »
Picked up an mouth call for the first time today messed around with it for a couple hours,  doesn't sound to bad,  I'm going to get good with them before the spring season,  you guys have any prefferences, or does it seem to be more personal choice.  Double reed?  Triple? 
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: talking turkey, mouth call reviews?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
Biggest thing I found was trimming the outside to fit in the roof of my mouth properly.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »
Not to hijack, but I'd  just love to hear how to overcome a gag reflex, and perhaps make something other than a puking sound, or a rare squeal from the call itself.   ::)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2011, 06:21:06 AM »
Do you trim the "duct tape" looking stuff Kev?  If your gagging It's too big in the roof of your mouth. Just take a sharp scissor and trim a little at a time off the back edge keeping the shape more or less. Then just practice blowing air across it with the tongue in different spots and control the flow with your lip's. 
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2011, 06:24:54 AM »
Have the same problem Chucker. I've tried so many it's not even funny. The closest I got to one comfy for me was the Primos Clear Hook.
Model 141. Quite small to start with and then trimmed they aren't to bad. At least I can make a Turkey sound with them.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
I don't need to cut mine, but I do bend the aluminum frame to fit the shape of my palette better.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
alot of people I know, including my father trim or cut the outside off...I guess when they manufactured them, someone with the same dimensions as my mouth was used as a guide...they fit and feel perfect for me...I personlly like the quaker boy brand...special and old boss hen
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2011, 03:54:10 PM »
quaker boys mini mag  love them small and come in a 4 pack although my fav is the v cut

Offline beerbellybob106

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
my personal favorite is the will primos edition awesome sounding call i got one of the michael waddell series calls last year and this year the reed was dried out and fell apart what crappy quality. anyone looking at the sonic dome calls dont buy them they sound terrible. the one i have is way too high pitched and is very uncomfortable

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
my personal favorite is the will primos edition awesome sounding call i got one of the michael waddell series calls last year and this year the reed was dried out and fell apart what crappy quality. anyone looking at the sonic dome calls dont buy them they sound terrible. the one i have is way too high pitched and is very uncomfortable

My calls always stay in the fridge when I am not using them I have had my mini mags for this is their 3rd yr no problems cool and moist and always near the beer  ;D ;D

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
Biggest thing I found was trimming the outside to fit in the roof of my mouth properly.

I agree 100%, I did over trim the back edge of one and now it doesn't seal against the roof of my mouth. Definitely trim in small increments. Shortest reed goes down.

Offline beerbellybob106

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2011, 06:45:51 AM »
My calls always stay in the fridge when I am not using them I have had my mini mags for this is their 3rd yr no problems cool and moist and always near the beer  ;D ;D

ive never kept mine in the fridge and all my other calls are fine except the michael waddell one

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2011, 07:08:11 AM »
ive never kept mine in the fridge and all my other calls are fine except the michael waddell one

hmmm after my first year mine dried out was told put them in the fridge and you'll never have to worry about them so thats what I have done I wonder why just one call withered away? Is it made with different material then others? none-the-less that sucks

Offline beerbellybob106

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
hmmm after my first year mine dried out was told put them in the fridge and you'll never have to worry about them so thats what I have done I wonder why just one call withered away? Is it made with different material then others? none-the-less that sucks
im not sure what its made from i didnt really use it anyways didnt like the sound of it, i like the real raspy calls

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »
I've always had better luck with higher pitched calls. Tends to not upset the hens as much as the raspy mature sounding calls do.
They are less apt to take a Tom away from you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal