Author Topic: Turkey hunting evenings  (Read 7902 times)

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
Turkey hunting evenings
« on: Mar 18, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »
Since this year is Pa's first gobbler hunt that allows all day hunting starting two weeks after openning day, Im new to hunting them in the evening...other than locating their roosting spots, anyone else have any tips for a late afternoon hunt?
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
Re: Turkey hunting evenings
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
well we don't get to at all but before lately on getting more property i always scout for their pattern all day I have found that "my birds" on my main property have a huge circle they travel and 3 different roosting spots so I get there a 3-4 hours before roosting and find them and put them to bed works great for roosting but for taking them the next morning well lets just say they like to almost always out move me lol

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »
I do a LOT of spot and stalk techniques from later afternoon until dark......  That is if I cant get em to respond to calls.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
like hulbert said they travel a large circle daily but since they have no clocks and nowhere to be the roosting spots can vary day to day but remain in the same vicinity.your best bet is to use cameras and time to see where they wanna end up by days end.then hit and owl call or holler real loud when you know they are on roost for the night and get a shock gobble.this will tell you a general area where they are.the best is to sit off in the distance with binocs and watch them fly up then go get in their bedroom the next morning.makes for an easy hunt........sometimes.good luck to ya and remember time in the woods=dead birds.just do your homework and you will be fine.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »
the other thing is the hens should be sneaking off to lay the daily egg or by that time sitting on nests full time so hot toms should be easier to locate and call in.goodluck let us know how you make out.im jealous of all day hunting but up here in NY we have different birds that must be nurtured to maintain a flock or somethin like that......translation NY is run by Hitler  ;D I mean good DEC!

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »
Since this year is Pa's first gobbler hunt that allows all day hunting starting two weeks after openning day, Im new to hunting them in the evening...other than locating their roosting spots, anyone else have any tips for a late afternoon hunt?

Your season starts mid of april there right

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
April 30
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »
April 18th for me. ;D

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
mine too Drobs! ;D J/k J/k.im itching to get out bad.

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2011, 11:39:06 AM »
For spring turkey hunt we can only hunt till Noon here in Maine....fall turkey hunt however is an ALL day affair!!! ;D

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
For spring turkey hunt we can only hunt till Noon here in Maine....fall turkey hunt however is an ALL day affair!!! ;D

same here in ny would like to try an all day spring turkey hunt that would be fun

Offline bamaboy

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
I like to hunt mid days. Killed 2 that way last year. I set up on a spot that I know turkeys are in the area. I usually setup a few decoys but not always. Then I soft call every 15 minutes. A few clucks and purrs. thats all. then silent for another 15 minutes. I have never heard one gobble coming in. they tend to sneak in quiet so you have to stay on your toes. In the evenings, I like to go sit where I know they are roosting. I use the same calling technique. I never yelp or do too much calling. Just a few soft clucks and purrs every 15 or 20 minutes.
TalkHunting Magazine Pro Staff    www.talkhunting.com
UFA Member   www.unitedforumsassoc.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal