Author Topic: strutting decoys  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
strutting decoys
« on: Apr 10, 2010, 06:51:02 PM »
Anyone have one of these? im lookin into getting one. Ive been thinkin about the jake mobile maybe because i heard the full strut tom decoys are abnormally big and i would think that might turn a tom away from coming in if they think they cant beat the decoy in a fight. Any input would be great.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Re: strutting decoys
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
Just confirmed a purchase on ebay for a new peep'n tom and pretty penny combo. I'll give it a whirl this yr and see how it works. It says this tom is 10% smaller than the pretty boy so maybe that'll be good. I'm gonna shorten up the beard and add a real jake fan to it and hopefully the big boys wont be able to resist  ;D

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: strutting decoys
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
I did well with a pair of foam body decoys. One hen and a jake. Would push the hen stake down so she sat right on the ground, then position the jake kind of behind and over her. Made the mature bird think the jake was breeding and they came in to kick him away. Just what ever you do, position them away from right in front of you. Also used a blaze orange marker above where you are sitting, to help other hunters see where you are. Good luck and hope the big boy comes in to investigate your set up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal