Author Topic: 1st year turkey hunting  (Read 7717 times)

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
1st year turkey hunting
« on: Mar 19, 2005, 05:18:06 PM »
its my first year of turkey hunting this coming season, and would like any tips that would hopefully bag me a turkey. I have the equiptment already,and my license and my tags, I just need tips on where to hunt, and when. I live in western MA, and need info on where I should look for turkeys. last deer season, I was waiting out the deer on the ground, my dad was driving anything towards me, and I seen 8 full size turkeys that came within 10 yards from me, I stood up slowly, without them hearing me, and just watched them walk away, it was neat, and I thought Id give them a try, I just need some tips from you guys who hunt them.  thanks
red

Offline Turkeyman05

• Spiked
Re: 1st year turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2005, 10:07:57 PM »
Hey Redeyes, glad to have you as a fellow turkey hunter! OK, the first thing to remember is remember everyday afield. LEARN FROM THE BIRDS AND YOUR MISHAPS! Turkey hunting is a blast, and it is easy to get started. First off you will need some kind of turkey vest to carry all your essentials, Now, do not go overboard with calls at first but I do recommend a good box or push button call. SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT! Get to know the birds. Know where they roost feed and strut.Next, pattern your gun. A turkey is a hard bird to kill. read alot of turkey mags and watch lots of videos. But most of all remember. HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE OUT THERE! When the turkeys are talking it is a blast and it can happen fast or not at all. Just remember that you are reversing nature by calling and waiting for the tom to come to you. If you have any questions let me know and I will try and help.

GOOD LUCK, BUD!

Offline redeyes

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2005, 11:18:30 AM »
hey Turkeyman05, thanks
can you recommend a good call to start off with, and any Idea where I should look for the birds roosting areas, and where I should set up when hunting season comes around, ie. at the edge of the woods into a field?What kind of trees should I look for where they roost?
red

Offline Turkeyman05

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2005, 07:09:46 PM »
ok red, I suggest you pick up a box call to start. I bought the WATERPROOF WIZARD by PENNS WOODS. It sounds great and it is waterproof. Also you will want to pick up a locator call such as a crow call. Very easy to use. Look for bug pnes or hardwoods on the edge of fields or on sides of ridges. Check the bottom of these trees for turkey feathers and/or droppings. If you can get out and scout in the afternoon listen or watch for turkeys. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to their habits. Where they go where they feed or even spots where you see toms strutting. All these areas are spots you want to concentrate on. Turkeys are creatures of habit just like deer. BUT be courteous to other hunters already set up. DO NOT INTERFERE! Try to scout several spots so you have a back up. Ok, setting up on field edges are good as long as you can get in without being detected. But just remember that if the gobbler has hens he will be hard to call up. I could go on forever about what I have learned on my hunts but that would take all night! Just do alot of scouting and if you have any more questions just ask.

Good Luck

Offline redeyes

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:09:16 PM »
I dont understand, and neither do my friends, what do owl and crow calls have to do with turkey hunting, I dont understand it.
red

Offline Turkeyman05

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:18:25 PM »
turkeys will shock gobble at these bird sounds. This will help you get a fix on where that tom is without using a hen call, that could possibly get him to come in before you are set up.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2005, 03:30:14 PM »
its kind of like the turkes yell at the other birds if you blow a owl hoot or crow call a turkey will gobble back like there saying stay away at the same time letting you know where they are hence a locater call and dont be fooled into thinking turkeys are smart they are not they are just great survivors and very very paranoid they take a better safe than sorry approach thats why you have to be extra careful huntingn them head to toe camo no movement they have a 300 degree view if you must move make sure there head is behind a tree or something like turkeyman said a bow call is the easiest to master first make sure you put a cloth between the call so it doesnt chirp while you walk also go out at dusk and find where they are roosting then you know where to set up the next day and leave real real early dont over call and if you have one coming in then he shuts up dont give up and dont move hes still there just checking things out good luck

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2005, 04:17:34 PM »
I honestly believe that turkey hunting is the most challenging of all outdoor endeavors. As Turkeyman05 said, the most important aspect is scouting. If the birds aren't there and you don't know what they're up to frustration will be the result.
Trust me!
I think the easiest call to master is soft slate. Use an acrylic striker, and you should get the hang of it pretty quickly...
Good luck! Oh yeah, why are your eyes red?
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2005, 07:59:51 PM »
i think he said his eyes are red from a trip to aruba or something  ???  less than a month to go man im pumped cleaned my gun today after fishing got her all lubed up and going to the range this week and pop off a box or two

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2005, 08:21:41 AM »
the easiest call for a beginer to use is a box call, from there he can work on his slate calling and mouth calls. mouth calls are the toughest to use and do take alot of practice to perfect. i practice while i am trout fishing b-4 the first. i also practice along with different turkey shows that i may be watching on the outdoor channel. this lets you hear how you are doing and it will also give you tips on what type of calling to do in different situations that may occure in the field.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2005, 08:29:20 AM »
i also practice my calling while fishing turkey calls trout fishing and crow calls pike fishing ;D

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2005, 05:57:30 AM »
The NWTF website is a good place to hear all the different sounds turkeys make.
You can click on them by name and hear them over and over.
Then practice until you have it down.
I can't use mouth calls because my of my tongue stud.
I know- I could take it out, but the GF wouldn't be happy.  :o

Your crow call is well-known, Arch. I heard it on the ice.  :D

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2005, 08:18:37 AM »
i like using the mouth calls for when the birds are close and you want to keep the movement to a minimum. i have also just used my own voice and that has worked also to get them into the right spot for the shot.

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2005, 08:55:01 AM »
i like using the mouth calls for when the birds are close and you want to keep the movement to a minimum. i have also just used my own voice and that has worked also to get them into the right spot for the shot.

When the birds are close I don't call. That has messed up more than one hunt for me.
I will give a sharp vocal cluck to raise their head.

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »
thats what i meant devil-man. i just didn;t post it right.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal