Author Topic: Rabbit hunting  (Read 25577 times)

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
Rabbit hunting
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »
I hope some of you that hunt rabbits over Beagles will post some pics of your Bunny's and dogs after you get done chasing deer. I've had beagles on and off for years and now we have four cats. ::) My girlfriend is slowly warming to the idea of getting a Beagle pup, but until then, some pics would be great. Thanks!

Bob

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
Re: Rabbit hunting
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:39:22 AM »
Here's a recent pic of my girls (they sleep in my daughter's bed).

Trixie on the left is an old girl (10) and Dolly (7) on the right is a rabbit hunting machine.  Dolly just got fixed so she's really putting on some weight.  I'm looking forward to running them in a couple weeks.  I'll post some pics once we do.

As far as a puppy goes, just go out and get one.  There's nothing cuter than a beagle pup!  There's no way she could resist once she's cuddling with it.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »
Otis is right! Once you bring it home she wont send it back! lol

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »
Nice lookin' girls Otis. My Grandfather had a Beagle named Trixie when I was a kid and Dolly looks a lot like Scooter, my last Beagle. A lot of guys I've known over the years, wouldn't keep a hunting dog inside, said it ruined their nose. I always kept mine inside too and I never had any problems. Thanks for posting the picture Otis, I'm looking forward to more.

Bob

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
Otis is right! Once you bring it home she wont send it back! lol

You must have posted that while I was typing johndeere540.

The big problem right now is the four cats, I'd hate to throw a pup in the middle of that. Two of the cats are OLD and when they're gone I'm getting a pup. You're both right about my girlfriend wanting to keep a puppy once she sees it, I'm a sucker for a Beagle pup myself.
Thanks for the replies.

Bob

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
im a sucker for any puppy....jsut get yerself one when you can.....and post puppie pics.....have a grand bunny season

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
Nice lookin' girls Otis. My Grandfather had a Beagle named Trixie when I was a kid and Dolly looks a lot like Scooter, my last Beagle. A lot of guys I've known over the years, wouldn't keep a hunting dog inside, said it ruined their nose. I always kept mine inside too and I never had any problems. Thanks for posting the picture Otis, I'm looking forward to more.

Bob
I hunt with a guy who keep his dogs inside and I will have to say a family dog seems to listen better than a outside dog. I dont think i have ever seen him have to leash his dogs cause they mind super well!

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
Thanks loonyone, when I eventually get a pup, I'll definitely post a pic or two.

You know johndeere540, I never really thought about it until you mentioned it, but I've seen that a few times myself.

Otis, I've looked at that picture of your dogs ten times since you posted it, man, I gotta get a Beagle. ;D

Bob
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2011, 04:13:06 PM by stillhunter »

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:33:45 PM »
Go get one Bob. ;D ;D You know you wanted one yesterday. ;) ;D Nice looking dogs Otis.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:08:46 AM »
I'll always have a beagle, there just really sweet dogs.  Females listen better than males do.  As for the inside/outside thing, it depends WAY more on breading than on how they are kept.  Trixie is an OK hunter, but her parents weren't hunters so you can't expect much from her.  Dolly came from a long line of champion hunting dogs.  The first time I took her out with Trixie when she was a little pup, she ran circles around poor Trix.  Then she ran down a rabbit hole!  I thought for sure that I was going to have to dig her out.  There's no way I could have gone home without her, the wife would have hung me out to dry.  It took her 20 minutes to come out, all the while you could hear her howling throughout the burrow underground.

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:28:21 AM »
I've never had a beagle that actually went down a hole after one Otis, that's dedication! Gotta love a Beagle.

Bob

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »
Go get one Bob. ;D ;D You know you wanted one yesterday. ;) ;D Nice looking dogs Otis.

Come on Dave, I don't need any help trying to decide when to get one, I do appreciate the urging though. ;D

Bob

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
Thanks BMJ, awesome pics! I've got a buddy that wants to go up north with me next week and stomp around in the brush. Hopefully we'll be able to kick a couple snowshoes out to each other. I told him our best bet would be to start one, have him take the track and bark once in a while so I could keep track of his progress. I probably shouldn't repeat his answer to that here. ;D  Nice pics, thanks again!

Bob

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »
Thanks BMJ, awesome pics! I've got a buddy that wants to go up north with me next week and stomp around in the brush. Hopefully we'll be able to kick a couple snowshoes out to each other. I told him our best bet would be to start one, have him take the track and bark once in a while so I could keep track of his progress. I probably shouldn't repeat his answer to that here. ;D  Nice pics, thanks again!

Bob

That's a good plan................ ::) ::)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »
Awesome pics Harrie! Here is one of me as a young Aquaassassin LOL 9 yrs. old I think

It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal