Author Topic: black trumpets  (Read 7335 times)

Offline tcfish

• 6 Pointer
black trumpets
« on: Sep 01, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »
  Was gifted some fresh Black trumpets today ..Any preffered methods for preparing them ?
My way of life

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
Re: black trumpets
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
Yes! If you want full flavor then here it is -

Pizza crust - any you desire. I like thin wheat

Garlic sauce - I like to make my own by roasting 12 pieces then mashing and mixing with milk, rue, tiny bit of red pepper flakes, salt and pepper all in a sauce pan until its a slightly thick consistency. store bought will do but try to stay away from an Alfredo type

Kielbasa - thinly sliced almost like pepperoni. twice the thickness is great as well but I do take the casing off before slicing. I make my own kielbasa so its garlic in flavor to begin with which goes great with the sauce. Any plain kielbasa will do as long as its not too powerful in flavor.

Spinach - baby spinach is great.

Cheese - I use shredded Mozzarella or cheddar

Simply sauce your pizza crust, sprinkle cheese, layer spinach, layer kielbasa, and finally layer black trumpets. I also add a bit more cheese on top. Cook to your desired doneness and you will definitely taste and enjoy your black trumpets.

Let us know how it turns out if you choose this route. Here is a picture of mine .(left with trumpets and right with Hen of the woods)

Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline tcfish

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »
   Thanks ! Those look good ,taliking to the same guy tonite (tenant) he said there was a pair of jumper cables off to the of the driveway  we go out to get them and he point to a mushroom and says GOLD .King bollette as we look further found a crap load some bigger ones had gone buy .I kept a couple for myself ,gonna try sauteed with olive oil and garlic !
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2015, 07:59:10 PM by tcfish »
My way of life

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2015, 08:06:45 PM »
Wow that looks and sounds awesome sharps...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »
OMG! I want some. ;D
It'll chew...

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:55:37 AM »
Hahaha!

Omelets are great as well. I eat over 30 different edibles and I must say, trumpets are in my top 3. They just have this great smoky-earthy flavor no other edible has. Risotto another great option. 

tcfish - what state are you from? I found 3 small kings for the first time in my life here in southern NE. I just don't think we have the right habitat OR I just haven't found them yet. Definitely next on my list but I have a feeling I have to go north.   
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline tcfish

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »
Hahaha!

Omelets are great as well. I eat over 30 different edibles and I must say, trumpets are in my top 3. They just have this great smoky-earthy flavor no other edible has. Risotto another great option. 

tcfish - what state are you from? I found 3 small kings for the first time in my life here in southern NE. I just don't think we have the right habitat OR I just haven't found them yet. Definitely next on my list but I have a feeling I have to go north.
                    I'm in Maine . Just getting going with the mushroom after my 1st hen and oyster last year .My tenant is a forager and is quite knowledgeable with mushrooms .
My way of life

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »
Yep - Maine is the place to be. I am pretty confident that if I lived in ME I a could make a living out of it. Or at least cut it close.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline tcfish

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
Yep - Maine is the place to be. I am pretty confident that if I lived in ME I a could make a living out of it. Or at least cut it close.
     ;D seems to be a nice market for them along the waterfront !
My way of life

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2015, 06:08:43 AM »
esp. for trumets which are fairly rare and bring top dollar.

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »
So how was that pizza? LOL
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2015, 05:36:06 PM »
was awesome but i used reg. pizza sauce. going to try your garlic sauce next time! ;)

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2015, 08:26:55 AM »
Yea - the garlic sauce lets those trumpets express their Smokey flavor as the red sauce hinders it a bit.
Honor Respect Loyalty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal