Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49398 times)

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #180 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:29:11 PM »
About half the trees I got I don't think would have survived the first moderate wind without some support, I left them in too. I had one I lopped off because it was too top heavy and another I should have but didn't. The one I pruned has bushed out and is doing great- the other is getting pruned this winter, it will never make it through any kind of wind on its own the way it is. Heading up now to see how badly the hail & wind beat things up yesterday afternoon. My place was about smack dab in the middle of the worst of the cells that blew through.

I had one tree snap off this week even with the bamboo stake. The top peice of tape broke and the tree snapped about 3' up. I cut it off clean and I am hoping that it grows back out next year.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #181 on: Jul 26, 2015, 09:38:18 AM »

Boy am I ticked off  >:(  Had a storm come threw and snapped one of my seedlings off ; Taped it up but think it has had it
           the other 4 are doing great ... How are yours holding up Tom

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #182 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »
Things are doing pretty well. About a quarter of the Chinese chestnut seedlings didn't make it. Another quarter of them are so-so. and about half are doing very well. The Dunstan's from last year are all doing very well, except for the one that got hit by a falling maple. All the domestic apple trees are growing like crazy. The crabapple have all grown out of the cages and are being browsed- have to spray the stinky stuff on them next trip. All in all- everything is growing right along as hoped for. It's going to get interesting in a few years as mast begins to fall. I'm seeing more deer sign for this time of year than I did a couple years back too. The clearing & ground plantings are making a difference already. Got 70 or so pumpkin plants along side of the new orchard- curious to see how they draw this fall. I've heard good & indifferent reviews of them as a plot food. Time will tell.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #183 on: Jul 27, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »

Those pumpkins will treat you well ; They like them very well up here when they are gone buy soft and Moshe seems to be the best   ;)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #184 on: Jul 27, 2015, 05:10:54 PM »
Tom we used to plant 1 1/2 acre's of pumpkins to sell. All the ones we left in the field we found out the deer  wont touch them till they froze and we brush hogged them...
Just what I have seen....    :-\
If you want to plant something good. I know its to late now but red sugar beets are the best..  You can add some turnips in with them.....    ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #185 on: Jul 27, 2015, 08:50:49 PM »
Tom we used to plant 1 1/2 acre's of pumpkins to sell. All the ones we left in the field we found out the deer  wont touch them till they froze and we brush hogged them...
Just what I have seen....    :-\
If you want to plant something good. I know its to late now but red sugar beets are the best..  You can add some turnips in with them.....    ;)

I'll try them next year... I know just the place for them!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #186 on: Aug 19, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »
Other projects have kept me from getting the orchard mowed. Planted clover & chicory on the ground with oats as a cover crop. Should have taken a before pic- it was a jungle. Got a new brush mower for going around the cages first then brush hogged a bit on the high side. Dry as a popcorn fart- but with rain on the way I figured it was a good time. Clover and chicory should bounce back in good shape for October. New mover is a beast. I have a lot of places it will come in handy. Trees are in great shape- but I'm glad rain is on the way.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #187 on: Aug 19, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
Mowing is really important I think. I bought a tow behind mower a few years ago and it really helps.

I replanted my food plot with some fresh clover last week. It should be looking good by the time bow season opens.

This rain is coming at a perfect time too.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2015, 08:41:39 PM by reeleyz »

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #188 on: Sep 11, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »
Chinese chestnut update-

Putting the puzzle together for successful establishment of the 500-600 Chinese chestnut I hope to establish. The trees I planted the earliest are doing the worst. The later I put them in- the better. It makes sense- because the established ones leaf out way later than the maples and oaks do. Going to try another 200 or so this winter. I will be more patient in getting them in the ground in 2016 and will wait for these ones to leaf out before I put in the 2016 batch. They really didn't get much more height than they had at planting time, but the trunks got thicker and "woodier". I suspect most energy was expanded establishing the root system. They didn't seem to be too adversely affected by the month long drought that just ended.

Here is an example of one planted in early May 2015... This tree never was exposed to frost.

These are a couple that didn't go in until late May. Full sun or mostly shaded didn't seem to change the growth rate. I'm glad to see this because I have a whole lot more wooded area than area with full sun. The first was in almost full sun- the second was in the hardwoods.

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2015, 12:52:33 PM by Hollywood »

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #189 on: Sep 12, 2015, 04:31:17 AM »
Keep in mind that early spring, into May, we had very little rain. Whereas, June we had a lot of rain. They are looking good....h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #190 on: Sep 12, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »
Keep in mind that early spring, into May, we had very little rain. Whereas, June we had a lot of rain. They are looking good....h2l

I remember it well. I spent almost a month hauling water to all these trees. Then June came ... and we set a record for wettest June ever. By the end of July, I had the food plot area cleared and leveled. Planted the seed. And not one drop of rain fell for over a month. Bright sun & HOT every day. Had rain as close as an 1/8 mile away, but none hit my place. Watching the radar constantly. Spent hours every day after work keeping things damp there. Did the dance of joy last Thursday when we finally got rain! Sure way to a drought is to have me plant something.
Part of the new plot...
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2015, 09:54:26 AM by Hollywood »

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #191 on: Sep 12, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »
That plot is looking great for the lack of rain!

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #192 on: Sep 12, 2015, 07:03:14 PM »
We are getting some rain now...h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2016, 10:12:22 PM »
Orchard update... That expansion I wanted to continue in order to remove the dying ash trees got wrapped up today. After clearing an acre by hand and with limited equipment it was a pleasure to have the right tools and guys on the job today...

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #194 on: Jul 06, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
Thought I'd update for the guys that were doing the same plantings...
Catkins!!!
The nuts I use to cultivate next years seedlings will come off of my own trees. So rewarding to see these...
nn

Second season for the apple trees. Most have fruit...
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2017, 04:35:08 PM by Hollywood »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal