Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49399 times)

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #135 on: Apr 29, 2015, 04:27:40 AM »

Looks much better in that spot now with the little guy  :)  What is the black thing made of holding him ; Mine going in this weekend  :)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #136 on: Apr 29, 2015, 05:59:45 AM »

Looks much better in that spot now with the little guy  :)  What is the black thing made of holding him ; Mine going in this weekend  :)

I just took some landscaping weed guard fabric I had and cut it into strips then stapled it in place. A piece of duct tape holds it to the conduit to keep it from slipping down. It acts like a sling, it's not tight to the tree. Some of the longer trees got two strips. The conduit will work well- I cut 10 footers in half. They are about 3.5' high after driving them in the ground. Some of the trees won't need support when they get taller- but I learned last year from planting the 2 year old trees that some will need up to 8' for support. The conduit will make it easy next year to add height for support where it's needed. Have fun planting yours!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2015, 06:28:17 AM »
Apple trees finally going in this weekend!   8)  Got some good direction with Dad there to help... always good to have him there. Got 31 in yesterday, 20 more to go today. I learned not to pre-dig the holes, it's drier than a popcorn fart now and requires three times as much water (which I have to haul) as it would have. The man I got the trees through is planting 1,200 today  :o  They obviously are doing it a little differently than I am. Watched 4 gobblers & 8 hens head to roost late last night on the way out. My buddy and his 9 year old son are up there after them now so I'm having an extra cup of coffee and taking my time this morning hoping they connect. We've been texting... gobblers North & South of them and had a couple deer go through so far.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:52:23 AM by Hollywood »

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »

Thatah boy good seeing you bringing the boss to make sure things are going smoothly hehe   :) :)

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »
Good stuff HW!

We could use some rain. I plan on doing some watering tonight unless we get this rain.

Looks like the Dunstan Chestnuts won't be shipped to the Northern Stores for a little while. I still have a bit more clearing to do before I can plant trees anyway.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:52:59 AM by reeleyz »

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »
Good stuff HW!

We could use some rain. I plan on doing some watering tonight unless we get this rain.

Looks like the Dunstan Chestnuts won't be shipped to the Northern Stores for a little while. I still have a bit more clearing to do before I can plant trees anyway.

Rain seems to be missing us every time. Stopped tonight after work, still good and cool/damp just under the dust. Got 18 caged- the concrete mesh is so much easier than using 3x5 wire fencing and T posts like I used last year. I'll have the rest finished with a couple more hours in.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2015, 08:58:46 PM »
Its been really dry Tom..  I think we are 8" below normal..   We need a good soaking....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2015, 04:12:11 AM »

Looks good Tom ; Got mine in last weekend wire mesh going on this weekend   ;D

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
All trees have screen around the bases and 15' circles of 5' tall concrete mesh around them. Conduit has been labeled to identify them.  8)  Spread the clover, chicory & oats in the dust and covered with peat moss... I sure hope we get the rain they're calling for. I've had a couple buddies bring their kids out to kill one of the big dumb gobblers that are up there. They keep seeing hens... every time I go- banging, clanging and all- I see 2-4 gobblers within 40 yards... every time! I need to  get them to sleep in, make LOTS of noise, and act like they're not interested in shooting turkeys. It's a surefire tactic apparently. This smaller plot seems to always have something in it. As dry as it's been- the clover and oats have germinated and aren't dead yet...

Cell phone pic... 2 big old red & blue jelly heads...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:04:18 PM by Hollywood »

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2015, 06:16:23 AM »

Had to give mine a drink yesterday can't wait to long for the rain to happen ; At least they will get a good soaking ...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2015, 06:03:55 AM »
I was driving the Thruway out your way yesterday Tom and I'm pretty sure you got some rain..... ::) ::)       ;D ;D
Twice traffic slowed to 50mph... >:(
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »
I was driving the Thruway out your way yesterday Tom and I'm pretty sure you got some rain..... ::) ::)       ;D ;D
Twice traffic slowed to 50mph... >:(

Yes... should be set for awhile   8)  stopped on the way by last night in between downpours- it's amazing the effect it had on the small plot that had germinated but wasn't doing much- just popped up & green! New apple trees are leafing out too. The wild trees are covered in blossoms- hope there's no frost tomorrow night- looks like its going to be close. This is very similar to last spring so far.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2015, 03:50:07 PM »
A couple pics showing growth from last spring's planting.

This Dunstan chestnut was less than 4' tall when planted- over 7' now These seemed to spend last growing season establishing roots- they all are sprouting a lot of new branches now. This particular one is a bit scimpy in the middle but a lot of shoots are coming-

These crab apple were less than 18" twigs when they went in last spring. These were from Morse- only lost one of 34 and I'm very happy with the growth of these so far-

This little chestnut was from Morse also- not much more than a twig when it was planted- it is filling out nicely...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:59:55 PM by Hollywood »

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »

Them Have really come along really really well    :)  I sure do hope mine well do as good as them  ;D ;D

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »
I'm sure they will GMH... of course- I didn't take pics of the ones that didn't make it! 

The main orchard is finally done & caged... chicory, clover and oats have germinated-

Had some good help putting in another 24 chestnut trees this morning. This makes 96 in so far, just a few dozen left. Home seems kind of empty with everyone leaving. Like the kids going off to school again!

Now it's finally time to back off- let stuff grow- and maybe even fish a little!   8)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:41:49 PM by Hollywood »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal