Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49402 times)

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #120 on: Apr 23, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »
drove in today to the plot,,snowed hard allday,,Ice and snow in the road yet,but next week lyme will go down,,and plot food..
snowing very hard right now--yukkkkkkkkkkkk

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #121 on: Apr 23, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Just got back from my place- no snow stuck down low but an inch or so about 100 yards up. Too cold for anything I put down to germinate yet- probably next week.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #122 on: Apr 24, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »
What size lyme should I get,,granular or pellets,,
more snow today....

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #123 on: Apr 24, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
What size lyme should I get,,granular or pellets,,
more snow today....

Either will work- pellets last longer, help the fertiler be more effective. Sometimes it takes quite a bit, sometimes none is needed... did you do a soil sample?

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #124 on: Apr 25, 2015, 05:36:20 AM »
Either will work- pellets last longer, help the fertiler be more effective. Sometimes it takes quite a bit, sometimes none is needed... did you do a soil sample?
I did last year but never applied any,i'll get another sample this week,,up here theres an acid problem,Lakes get it bad from the rain.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #125 on: Apr 25, 2015, 07:21:19 AM »
Got my Chestnut trees yesterday Tom  :) :)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #126 on: Apr 25, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
Got my Chestnut trees yesterday Tom  :) :)

Cool! Where'd you get them from? What kind?  Just got back from digging the holes & setting the conduit for support for the apple trees. Trees were supposed to be here by yesterday- got a message at 4 pm yesterday that it's Monday now. Oh well... have to take a little time off   8)

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #127 on: Apr 25, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »
Cool! Where'd you get them from? What kind?  Just got back from digging the holes & setting the conduit for support for the apple trees. Trees were supposed to be here by yesterday- got a message at 4 pm yesterday that it's Monday now. Oh well... have to take a little time off   8)
I got mine from Gurneys , They are the Chinese Superior ; Called them and said to planet them as soon as you can dig and work the ground
but with the new 4" of the white stuff  >:(   So hope it melts buy Monday will try to put them in while they are still dormant . So tomorrow got to
go to the shop and get the wire mesh . Can't wait to see how they will do in this area  :) You think it is to early ?  , How about those square tubes do I put them around them now or in the fall 
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2015, 05:03:39 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #128 on: Apr 26, 2015, 03:07:17 AM »
I haven't used the grow tubes but I think they are used year round. I'm sure being dormant they can go in now. I'm waiting to do mine because they are all leafed out. I bought 1/2 conduit and cut them to 5' to put in for support- you will probably want to add something to support them- they are kind of flimsy until they get bigger. Good luck!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #129 on: Apr 26, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »
Got 40 holes & poles prepped in the big orchard yesterday and made a place for 8 more apple trees in the new little clearing earlier today. Still looking for the right spot for the last two. Also started whittling away at the thick scrub about 80 yards uphill from this clearing where the next plot is going. Fixed a few places in the road to help get the water off sooner and pulled a beautiful dry old hickory tree down front to cut up for a good friend. 60' of no limbs and dry as a bone- primo firewood!

Here's the new little plot- all prepped for trees...

And the main orchard area- before holes & posts...

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2015, 09:20:17 PM by Hollywood »

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #130 on: Apr 26, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »
Nice
no information

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #131 on: Apr 26, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »
Looking good Hollywood. I had a soil test done this year...I need NO lime! My PH is perfect, and here I have been stocking up for this years planting, I have 1200 pounds stored in the garage LOL

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #132 on: Apr 27, 2015, 06:50:40 AM »
Looking good Hollywood. I had a soil test done this year...I need NO lime! My PH is perfect, and here I have been stocking up for this years planting, I have 1200 pounds stored in the garage LOL

All dressed up and no place to go!  There's something you don't see on Craigslist everyday... but I bet it would sell on there.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #133 on: Apr 27, 2015, 08:55:33 AM »

:o  :o  Does that look sweat ; That is going to make one heck of a HONEY HOLE  right there  :) :)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #134 on: Apr 28, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »
Had a bit of a delay with the apple trees. They're in, but I bought them through a group of commercial growers. They are palletized & shrink wrapped and in a cool pole barn waiting for the growers grounds to dry up a bit more. Might be another week or two. Figured I better get started on getting the chestnut trees in because I won't be able to do it all at once. The forecast looks decent for at least the next two weeks (no freezing temps) so... in they go. After getting some in this evening, I'm glad I got started. I can do 3- maybe 4 an hour by the time you locate the right spot and go through all the steps. Adds up to about 45-50 hours of planting time for 150 trees.

Here's one of the first out of the nest-

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2015, 09:24:22 PM by Hollywood »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal