Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49399 times)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #105 on: Apr 12, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
They are still doing very well, about 3/4 of them (over 100) are big enough to go with full sized leaves. I'm going to follow Mother Natures lead and plant them when I see the maples leafed out- usually the second week in May.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #106 on: Apr 13, 2015, 06:31:41 AM »

:o :o  They look awesome they sure are doing great , You got one heck of a green thumb Tom
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2015, 06:32:08 AM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #107 on: Apr 13, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
That orchard looks great!

I still have snow in my food plot. I towed the wood splitter back there this weekend and almost buried the 4 wheeler! It should all be cleared out in a few days though.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #108 on: Apr 15, 2015, 05:12:10 AM »
Same here,too much snow to get to the food plot,going to add some lyme and npk soon,,snow up to my knees in the woods yet..

Offline mcully

• Forked
« Reply #109 on: Apr 15, 2015, 06:36:47 AM »
Must be the tulips are coming up. Walked out the front door this morning and got snorted at and had a flag flying.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #110 on: Apr 15, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »
Must be the tulips are coming up. Walked out the front door this morning and got snorted at and had a flag flying.

Too bad there are no October blooming tulips... that would be a peaceful food plot to sit   8)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #111 on: Apr 17, 2015, 09:01:54 AM »
Apple tree's will be in the end of next week- should be able to plant next weekend. Decided to go with Whitetail Institute clover mix for ground cover. Decided on this because apple trees require a lot of nitrogen. Many other options for ground cover require nitrogen as well, but clover actually adds nitrogen back to the soil so I figured they would compliment each other well. And... deer love clover! I will add some turnip seed again in August to the soil where I put the ash from the brush pile burns. For some reason, ash from the fire makes the turnips grow to about a softball and a half where the soil without ash they struggle to get to golf ball size. All the crab apple trees I planted last spring made it through the rough Feb/March we went through. They should start producing a little next year.

Copied this info from the Chestnut Hill website. Much different than last year when they gave very detailed information about which Walmart stores were getting what and exact dates instead of "mid-May"... They didn't have the "not taking orders" note on last year either. Seems like they might be selling enough on their own and may not really care about shipping to Walmart anymore. I'm sure they make more money selling through their own website....

"We are no longer taking orders for this Spring Season.

We will resume shipping for the Fall Season in September.
Orders can be placed on-line sometime this summer.
Check back with the website for status on ordering.

Thank you for your business!!

4/2/2015

Updated Information

Southern States Walmart Locations and shipping information

AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, OK, SC, TX

We will send out another email with the information
for the the Central States and Northern States
**read below

We are shipping the following trees
the week of APRIL 6th.

The trees should be arriving in the stores between April 9th-14th.

Please contact the stores ask to speak with the Garden Manager!

Not all of the stores will be receiving the same quantities or varieties.

(70) Dunstan Chestnut Trees 3 gallon (2yr old tree height 4-5')
 (9) Dunstan Chestnut Trees 7 gallon (3yr old tree height 5-6')
(10) Sawtooth Oaks 3 gallon ( 2 yr old height 7-8'
 (9) American or Oriental Persimmons Trees 7 gallon (3 yr old tree height 5-6')

Click Here for Southern Store Walmart List

The price of the trees will be determined by Walmart as they have purchased the trees from us.

**We will have the lists for the stores and locations for the
Central States (KY, MD, MO NC, TN, WV, VA) in April prior to shipping to the stores.

Northern States (IA, IL, IN, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, WI)
 in May prior to shipping to the stores.

We will ship to the central states around
the Third week of April,
northern states around the middle of May  "

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #112 on: Apr 18, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »

How big were those crab apple trees they start producing that quick ; Them deer well love that ....

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #113 on: Apr 19, 2015, 04:28:10 PM »
Beautiful dry conditions and everything is ready where the trees are going so I took advantage of the time I had and the good conditions to clear a real nasty spot of wild rose and thick scrub and seeded it with clover. Should work out well, supposed to be cool & rainy the next few days. Will pick up some oats to cover it with tomorrow. This spot is about 1/4 acre, found another spot about the same size slightly uphill, but on the way to the orchard area. Going to just keep creating edges and making good spots for bucks to cruise. Made a real nice wall of brush along this clover plot- I'll bet a grouse or two sets up camp here.   8)

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #114 on: Apr 19, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »

You got a great set up coming along ; You got any spare time I could use a hand    :) 

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #115 on: Apr 20, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
Thanks GMH... spare time hasn't been an issue lately  :o

This is the first plot I scratched out this weekend- lost a nasty patch of wild rose & honeysuckle and planted the clover and oats as a cover crop for it. This is right on the edge of the Northern most bedding area...

Not sure how this one will do- it'll be a bit shaded. But I only had a little bit of time into ripping out the brush here and the cost of a little seed so I thought it was worth a shot.

This is about 120 yards downhill from the other plot. I'm going to clear a trail from the first plot uphill a little bit, 100 yards or so towards the orchard, to the next place that is a jumbled mess right now but level enough with enough sun to do well and will do that one next. There is actually one other place before the orchard area that would work pretty well too so I'll probably do one there also. That will make a series of 4 small plots between the N bedding area and the orchard. I think the amount of edge being created will help all the game on the hill... time will tell.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #116 on: Apr 21, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
Your putting in a ton of work on that piece. Looks great. The woods look pretty thick in the background, got to be prime bedding territory. The seedling turned out great. How many did you end up with?
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #117 on: Apr 21, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »
Your putting in a ton of work on that piece. Looks great. The woods look pretty thick in the background, got to be prime bedding territory. The seedling turned out great. How many did you end up with?

Thank you- I'm just glad the snow cleared out and to be able to get at it again! Wound up with 150 seedlings. Just got done cutting 10' long 1/2" conduit in half to 5' to drive in the ground and spray painted the top foot fluorescent orange so I can find them once everything greens up in case we get a drought and I need to find them to water them. They will need the support of the conduit the first couple years until the root system is well established. Also, the young trees are pretty flimsy until they are about 3-4 years old. The apple trees will be here within the next couple days. They are supposed to be self supporting but I decided they are each getting a 10' conduit buried 3.5' for support anyway. Also, after thinking about 100 ways of protecting them, I've decided to go with 5' high' - 3" x 5" concrete reinforcing mesh. It comes in 150' rolls and I'm going to get 10- 15' sections from each roll. This makes enough of a circumference to protect the limbs and the tree until it matures enough that most of the growth is out of reach. The wire is heavy enough gauge that I won't have to add T posts for support like I used with the crabapple trees. Cost per tree is about 11 bucks so it's more cost effective than 3x5 fencing that requires T posts also. The next month is going to be pretty busy- but I like how things are coming together.  8)

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #118 on: Apr 22, 2015, 05:32:52 AM »
Hope to get into my food plot area soon and apply some lyme,,snow is almost gone from my lawn,another day or 2 it should be gone.still snow in the woods here...not much tough.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #119 on: Apr 22, 2015, 05:59:17 AM »
Hope to get into my food plot area soon and apply some lyme,,snow is almost gone from my lawn,another day or 2 it should be gone.still snow in the woods here...not much tough.

Wow... 2 weeks past us. I was going stir crazy waiting as long as we did here. As long as you can get in there the lime can go right over the snow. Might even help melt the crap.   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal