Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49401 times)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #75 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »
Little guys are growing well... bet they are glad they are on the inside of the glass... -15 last night.
Tallest is about 8" now...

Took Cubby out this morning for a walk and noticed a few small burrs left on this Chinese Chestnut tree- I've walked by it many times without noticing. Something for these seedlings to aspire to- this tree is about 40 years old and I'm told drops nuts by the barrel full every fall... doesn't look like I'll need to order seed again!

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #76 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
Looking good HW.

This snow can go away any time now. At least January there was not a lot of snow. I bet the coyotes are eating good.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #77 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »
Looking good HW.

This snow can go away any time now. At least January there was not a lot of snow. I bet the coyotes are eating good.

Not sure- there's no crust on the snow around here, I bet the coyotes are having a time of it getting around too. They had called for rain today then the next blast of cold, I'm really glad we didn't get that. They would have had plenty of crust but not enough for the deer- bad combo, especially now the deer have been in torpor for a month. A nice thaw will be welcome when it gets here!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #78 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »

Them are some very great looking specimens coming along  :)  Sure bet I get a bunch to try for myself come fall  ;D

Offline mcully

• Forked
« Reply #79 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:57:40 AM »
Our dog was able to walk on the snow yesterday after the Sunday warm up. Yotes will be traveling on top soon if not already.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #80 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »
Our dog was able to walk on the snow yesterday after the Sunday warm up. Yotes will be traveling on top soon if not already.

A lot of "experts" claim the coyotes don't bother the deer much. This was the right ear of the buck I took last fall. I doubt he would've agreed with the experts. Those rips in his ear sure look like they came from canine teeth to me.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #81 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:38:16 AM »
Looks like he lucked out with the yote not so much with you though.  ;D

Yeah that does look like 2 canine teeth marks in the corners.  I was reading a qdma article about coyotes affecting deer populations a year ago or so. It was more on fawn survival rate with proper habitat increase survival rate. 

I always feel bad for the deer in March when they are so close to seeing spring but don't make it through. 

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #82 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »

Yep I agree with you 2 ; He had a close call yote scare for , And hopefully he still had his antlers and stuck them with  one  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2015, 03:55:22 AM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #83 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »
There have been several times that I have come across piles of deer hair when turkey hunting in the spring.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #84 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
Checked a main trail today- just a mess of deer & coyote tracks mixed together. The coyotes are traveling up on top now too with ease.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #85 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:05:59 PM »

Flopped one of those bad boy's this morning with the Company truck , Swerved to the left and cathump and cathump   ;)  :) :)

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #86 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
Checked a main trail today- just a mess of deer & coyote tracks mixed together. The coyotes are traveling up on top now too with ease.

Not good. Hopefully we get a nice gradual warm up soon.

At least the deer aren't going hungry. They were still hammering the acorns here up until the snow got really deep.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #87 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
Chestnuts are coming along nice. Theyre growing quick. What type of apples did you plant? Where they all crabapples
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #88 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:54:10 PM »
Chestnuts are coming along nice. Theyre growing quick. What type of apples did you plant? Where they all crabapples

Yeah- you can see them get bigger by the day-

Last year I put in 34 crabapple, 4 different varieties. This spring I have 50 apple trees coming, 5 varieties, 10 of each. Along with about 150 chestnut seedlings, fencing, stocking & food plots... it's going to be a busy spring!

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #89 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »
Your going to be busy thats a lot of apple trees. I'm looking at a few different varieties Mcintosh and honey crisp for sure.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal