Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49076 times)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »
Got great news today- they had 50 Jonamac's to add to my buddies wholesale order! Trees will be here in April so I'll be sure to have everything leveled up & ready by then. In my friends orchard he said these produce about 1/2 a bushel by the third season then they really multiply after that. Going to start these along the northern border of this opening and plot seed the rest then add different types of trees each spring. I figure the crabapple will start producing a bit in about 3 years also... I'm thinking 2018 will be the start of some better traffic in this part of the woods.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »

Sounds real good getting them on there way ; Got 6 mac's and 4 of the freedom's ; Mac's just started producing
          this year ; Freedom's been at it a couple year's now . Got to look into them  Jonamac's my self for sure ....

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
Researched the apples a bit more & realized I was about to make a big mistake with 50 of the same type of tree- all would be ready at the same time. Contacted the nursery & changed it to-

10 Jonamac- ripe about 8/26
10 Crimson Crisp- ripe about 9/10
10 Northern Spy- about 10/6
10 Red Winesap- about 10/24
10 Goldrush- about 11/10

The nursery is Adams County Nursery- very nice folks. Their reviews I saw online are all thumbs up with very good sized trees and good survival according to my friend.
Also got the root trapper bags coming for the Chinese Chestnuts germinating in the fridge. It's going to be a busy spring!

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »

What are the root trapper bags for .....

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:06:46 AM »

What are the root trapper bags for .....

For the Chinese Chestnut seed I have germinating in my refrigerator. They will start to germinate about Feb/March. Too early to put them in the ground, so I ordered these to plant them in to get them started. I've got April already packed with things to do so I can just let these guys grow in the bags at home until I have time to get them planted. Should ensure a better survival rate also.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »

I got a lot to learn to try and hock up the Grand Kids ; Going to try this stuff for them I probably won't see the results myself  But they will   ???

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #51 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »
Good idea mixing the apple trees up HW.

When did you order the Dunstans last year?

It seems like spring is coming in a hurry. I know that sounds weird but it will be here before you know it. I already pumped about next season, getting some good pics of bucks that survived.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:14:12 PM »
Good idea mixing the apple trees up HW.

When did you order the Dunstans last year?

It seems like spring is coming in a hurry. I know that sounds weird but it will be here before you know it. I already pumped about next season, getting some good pics of bucks that survived.

If you go to Chestnut Hill's (Realtree nursery) website, they will put up a list of Walmart stores they will be shipping to & the dates they are shipping to them. I bought mine like this last year. I will add a few more this spring-but most of the budget went into the apple trees this time. The Walmart list will probably be up in February- I'll post it here when I see it. Not all Walmart's get them though I know the Oneida store did last spring.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #53 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »
The root trapper bags came in...

These guys should start to germinate in the next month or two-

Once they do, they will be planted in the bags in this mixture-

1 part perlite
1 part vermiculite
1 part ground peat moss
2 ounces (1/4 cup) lime (or to a ph of 6)

They get planted on their sides, about an inch deep. The bags "air prune" the roots, preventing them from growing into a circular ball that prevents proper growth when put in the ground. I will wind up with about .80 invested in each seedling. A much easier pill to swallow than the $29.95 the 2 year old potted trees go for. A great deal & satisfying to do... if it works!

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #54 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:08:09 PM »
Thanks again for the great info!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »
Got a few seeds germinating already, though most haven't yet.

Decided to bag the few that have started, I will check the rest about once a week and bag them as they come ready. This season is for figuring out what seems to work best for them anyway...

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »
  Are they snapping in fridge or you got them out ; What the fridge doing slowing the germination process down

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
  Are they snapping in fridge or you got them out ; What the fridge doing slowing the germination process down

They are in the fridge (about 35 degrees) They require cold storage prior to germination. Seems kind of early to be starting them, but if they're ready- I'll give them a shot. There's plenty more left if it doesn't work out for these.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #58 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »
Had a couple appointments cancel on me today- had time to do a ride on the land to check things out. The deer have cleaned up the buds on most of the tops I left for them. Got a couple big trees I've decided need to go to allow more light into a couple corners of the new plot- will drop them in the next week so those tops will carry them in February. Great day out! 30 degrees feels like a heat wave. Rode up on a group of 3- big doe, 2 year old & a fawn, then another group of 4- too thick to tell what they were but all look very healthy. This has been a pretty easy winter on them so far and at this point it's getting kind of late to get the deep snow that would last long enough to really bother them much. Had a grouse fly down about 20' from me on the way out- he scurried into a big pile. I wasn't far from the car- he got lucky I didn't have the shotgun in the trunk! Lots of coyote going through and some fox tracks too- a lot of critters out moving last week, the ground was showing all kinds of stories!

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
Can't wait to buy a piece of land to do exactly what your doing. Its killing me watching you put this all together. I know exactly how I want everything planted just waiting on the realitor to find something. Your doing an awesome job. I've been looking at a lot of nurseries online to buy apple trees, blueberry plants etc. Willis orchard, Stark bros and Nature hills all have pretty decent products from what I can see. How big are the apple trees your getting from the Adams county nursery? The trees I'm looking at on willis orchards website are 5-6 feet tall or 6-7 foot. You can decide how big the saplings you want are. I'd like to get them a little bigger to hopefully increase survival. I'd like to buy around 15 apple trees and probably 3 white oaks.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal