Author Topic: Grouse hunting NH - October  (Read 8122 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
Re: Grouse hunting NH - October
« Reply #45 on: Oct 15, 2019, 07:48:27 PM »
Made it home, made grouse soup for my old man, kid, wife and buddy. Amazing!

Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #46 on: Oct 16, 2019, 04:44:44 AM »
Looks awesome!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #47 on: Oct 16, 2019, 06:03:49 AM »
Sure looks good...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #48 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
Back from the Burg. What a great week, even if the birds were less abundant or didn't always cooperate. Better than being at work, that's for sure.
As far as birds go, Had some great days, and had some pretty awful days.
Limited out a few of the days. The others were days where we only had 3-4 flushes all day. Monday was the high of 18 flushes between 2 of us. Area hunted, in relation to the lakes, definitely made a huge difference this year.
All said and done: Hours in the woods = 58. Birds moved(seen or just heard. Large number flushed ahead without even seeing) = 48 birds. Taken home = 20
No bunnies seen or taken... :'(
Not a killer year, but wouldn't miss it for anything.
Till next trip......
Back to finding Mr. Big down home.

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #49 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:14:03 AM »
Nice work Jason! Far different results than mine. Total birds flushed, 7. Birds taken home 5. I just could not really get into them no matter how much ground I covered. I am still more than excited to have harvested 5 on my own with no partner or dog. I also did not see a single bunny nor any droppings which was very odd and not expected. I did bump 2 deer and a moose, talk about a rush. Oh, and I flushed 1 woodcock with no chance to shoot. I lived and I learned. Mission successful and a hell of an adventure.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #50 on: Oct 17, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »
Nice work Jason! Far different results than mine. Total birds flushed, 7. Birds taken home 5. I just could not really get into them no matter how much ground I covered. I am still more than excited to have harvested 5 on my own with no partner or dog. I also did not see a single bunny nor any droppings which was very odd and not expected. I did bump 2 deer and a moose, talk about a rush. Oh, and I flushed 1 woodcock with no chance to shoot. I lived and I learned. Mission successful and a hell of an adventure.
You had a great week. Glad you got up there. Wished we couldve hooked up but that's my fault( my time was diverted to the old timers I was with).
You're probably a far better shot than me...lol
Difference is probably areas and time hunted. We hunted from sunrise to sunset every day. It's just time spent in the right areas, that's all. We definitely had days where we were not in the right area, 5 flushes for a whole day. Each year seems a little different.
Sucks to be back to work today doesn't it Mike?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #51 on: Oct 17, 2019, 10:27:20 AM »
Nice pics Jason!

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #52 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
You had a great week. Glad you got up there. Wished we couldve hooked up but that's my fault( my time was diverted to the old timers I was with).
You're probably a far better shot than me...lol
Difference is probably areas and time hunted. We hunted from sunrise to sunset every day. It's just time spent in the right areas, that's all. We definitely had days where we were not in the right area, 5 flushes for a whole day. Each year seems a little different.
Sucks to be back to work today doesn't it Mike?

I agree. I basically hunted from 7am until 11am Sat, Sun and then Monday until 12 since it was my last time out before packing up to depart Tuesday morning. I also hunted Sunday evening for 2 hours. So, it was nice to come back to the cabin with at least 1 bird every time I went out chasing them. Each bird with its own story. The first bird was great because I was able to scratch the itch but i saw it fly across the road and made an easy kill. The second bird was great because it was a area I hunted before and I made a good shot through some thick cover to see the bird fall, that was rewarding. Third bird was great because it flushed to my right way out and although I took a shot, I didnt expect much. I did miss and decided to follow it up the hill. I worked the edge for 25 minutes with nothing, looked at my GPS and headed right back towards the ridge side where I last saw it last, all of a sudden it flushed and i took it down with my second shot. This is a great spot that i never hunted before and will definitely hunt it again in the future. The 4'th bird flew out of a tree way out of range down the ridge so i decided to chase after it. I searched for 45 minutes with no luck. I then reparked on a different road and I was going to  try and work that area from the other side. After taking about 40 steps from my vehicle i heard the bird flush and after looking at my GPS, i confirmed that it should be the same bird. I then circled around to get a good shot but it flew off the very top of a huge spruce/pine and i tried shooting through it but missed. Again, i watched to see where it was headed. I crossed the road and searched for 25 minutes. I was about to give up and decided to sweep the are just to the right and about 35 yards later i kicked the bird up from about 8 feet away and I may have destroyed one entire breast. LOL. I was not letting that bird get away after all of that. I then decided to go back to the spot that I got my second bird and I kicked up a woodcock that i never had a chance at. As i circled back I flushed a grouse from a tree and took it down right away, reaction time and a good shot were key. However, even though it dropped about 30 feet away i couldnt find it for over 20 minutes. In that process, i kicked up another grouse that i never even shot at. For a while there I actually wondered if it was the same bird I dropped although all of the feathers that came off of it made me reconfirm to myself that I know i dropped it. Whatever it is about this spot, its my golden honey hole since 4 years ago i also got a bunny here. With all of that said, these pictures tell what I really looked forward to daily after hunting! "Daddy you shoot a bird?!?! Yay!!!" Lol And yes, work blows even more now. Lol especially with power outages. Lol

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2019, 07:05:20 PM by SHaRPS »
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #53 on: Oct 17, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
Boy what a good time ..  Congratulations.
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #54 on: Oct 18, 2019, 05:21:33 AM »
Well this thread turned out far better than expected lol. Nice Work Mike!!

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #55 on: Oct 18, 2019, 06:02:35 AM »
Well this thread turned out far better than expected lol. Nice Work Mike!!

Lol! Thanks Frank. I will try to get back up there next year.
Honor Respect Loyalty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal