Author Topic: Bowhunting From a canoe  (Read 2188 times)

Offline croc2116

• 6 Pointer
Bowhunting From a canoe
« on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
Hi
I have a question for those who hunt out of canoes, kayaks and other boats. Do any of you use a bow sling that covers cams and or string? The reason I ask is because I have found a good spot on public land in back of a cedar swamp that has the best access by water. I appreciate any responses.

Thank You
Croc

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Bowhunting From a canoe
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
Not legal in NY...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2018, 03:51:52 AM »
I have an actual bow case that I will keep mine in. However, if it's freshwater l wouldn't be as concerned as salt water. I've done a couple bow hunts on islands off the coast and that's when I've used the hard case. As for just paddling a canoe through a bog, I'd just make sure it's padded and not getting banged around.

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2018, 08:32:22 PM »
Although I've never bow hunted from a water craft, I've done a lot of duck hunting from all three and used a canoe to rifle hunt.  I usually transport my weapon in a case to protect it. The one thing I always do is tether either the case or weapon to the boat, canoe, or kayak. In the unfortunate event that you should take a spill in the dark in a swamp, at least your weapon is still attached to your boat. I can only imagine I'd do the same with a bow.

I use a dog leash for the tether. It's soft on the gun and inexpensive.  Loop the handle end of the leash either through the case handle or through the trigger guard and around the receiver, and clip the other end to the boat.
It'll chew...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal