Author Topic: oyster mushrooms  (Read 5469 times)

Offline PSC13

• Nubbie
oyster mushrooms
« on: Oct 29, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
I found some mushrooms on a tree up in the adirondack moutains and my grandpa has alway describe a certain type of mushroom to me as having fins on the bottom and they were white or tan in color and they grew stacked on eachother.  So i found some mushrooms that seem to match that decription but i dont want to eat them unless i know for sure.  I was wondering if there were any look alike oyster mushrooms or if any one had pictures of what an edible tree mushroom looks like.  Thanks for the help!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: oyster mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline PSC13

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
yeah they look exactly like that but i just dont know if there might be some kind of look alike mushroom and a very small difference between them?

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »
Beefsteaks are out in full now---we picked 3 packs full yesterday and today.

Offline SuperYooper

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »
Oyster mushrooms are usually white but turn a little yellowish when they age a little. They have with fins on the bottom, and grow in clumps on a tree (usually poplar around here) and like you said stacked on top of eachother. One thing you can do to tell if it is an oyster or not is to smell it. Oysters usually have an anise odor to them like licorice. One last thing that can tell you if it is an oyster is the ones here that we find almost always have little beetle on them. (To get the beetles off we usually just put them in a big bowl of salt water for an hour or two.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2013, 09:02:42 AM »
Oysters of beefsteaks grow good on maple or beech trees also very well,I picked one clump this summer and haven't seen any since,if you get them and there dry just sprinkle some saly on the fins and let sit a while,if they do have a lot of bugs or worms soak in salt water like you said,they are the greatest..

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
Little off topic but has anyone ever tried chicken of the woods ?  I see it quit often at work. From what I have read its pretty good and the texture of it is just like chicken. 

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
I tried it last year,,alittle chewy but I kept it in the fridge a few days and later was told to eat them fresh,,you could live a few days on them if you really have to,,but not one of the better mrooms to me..

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »
i may try it next time i find it.   Im not huge on mushrooms but been told b

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2013, 06:03:30 AM »
Oysters--or AKA beefsteaks