Poll

Do you wear blaze orange when muzzleloading/gunhunting?

yes, I voluntarily wear it.
17 (63%)
no, I don't have to.
2 (7.4%)
yes, because we are required by law.
8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Hunter saftey  (Read 9055 times)

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
Re: Hunter saftey
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2006, 10:48:54 AM »
If I am on state land, yes.  If I am in a tree on our private land, no.

NY still doesn't have a law that requires blaze.
But it is a good idea during gun seasons...
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2006, 10:50:33 AM »
NY still doesn't have a law that requires blaze.
But it is a good idea during gun seasons...

That's crazy! I believe it should be law in every state. Just my .02 though
Adam

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2006, 10:52:12 AM »
That's crazy! I believe it should be law in every state.

Are you a nazi?  ;D
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
That's crazy! I believe it should be law in every state. Just my .02 though

my problem with it being a law is the fact of slob hunters, on both sides of the argument, there are guys that still wont wear orange, and that allows the slobs that shoot brush piles that make noise abigger target, if orange is a law then people will assume if the brush pile has no color they can shoot no matter what.

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2006, 11:56:59 AM »
or all the bunny huggers in the woods who are not required to wear orange.  They are in the same woods, why don't the laws require them to wear it.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »
Are you a nazi?  ;D

Yep. Nazi because I want to see less people killed. lol
I just like knowing that I can see someone in the woods and they can see me  ;D
Adam

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2006, 12:06:30 PM »
or all the bunny huggers in the woods who are not required to wear orange.  They are in the same woods, why don't the laws require them to wear it.

exactly, but who cares, shoot them :D but seriously, the same with kids building forts or playing, they dont wear orange, but most idiots dont think of them, so if orange is required for hunters, they will assume only hunters are in the woods and shoot at any noise or movement that isnt orange, the whole if its brown its going down mentality, well that 10 year old playing hide and seek isnt going to go over too well hanging over the fireplace :-\ sad to say, but there are some real doosies out there hunting, ive seen everything from guys walking around with flasks, to one guy in his stand with a six pack :-\ i had a buddy who was shot by his own brother turkey hunting, he lived but his neck and face are screwed for life, all because the bush made noise, and thats scary because no one wears orange turkey hunting :-\

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2006, 12:27:29 PM »
im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. its been a law in mich for some time now..that when you are firearm deer hunting during the firearm season you must wear orange..  now mistakes have happend...but i must tell you..ive never heard of anyone shooting somebody because they were the only guy with out orange out there.LOL. secondly our state law only requires one article, being a jacket,vest,or hat, that is at least 50% orange and visalbe from all sides...so its no big deal...everybody i know wheres at least an orange hat..
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »
all i can do is worry about me, as all hunters should do, i wear orange and only shoot what i see.

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2006, 12:34:17 PM »
..but you did have a good point about turkey  hunting...now i dont wear it at all when im out actually hunting them...but i cant believe that hardly nobody uses any orange while taking their bird out..my vest has to big tucked away orange flags...your darn right then ive got a big old bird bouncing on my shoulder theres orange hanging all over me.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2006, 12:42:32 PM »
yeah my vest has the snaps that you can put orange flags on, i always wear them walking out of the woods, with or without a bird, last thing i need is to get shot in the back because a head is sticking out of my pouch.

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2006, 12:46:16 PM »
yeah my vest has the snaps that you can put orange flags on, i always wear them walking out of the woods, with or without a bird, last thing i need is to get shot in the back because a head is sticking out of my pouch.

i used too..but i stoped using decoys for the  most part. the way our seasons work here you get some solitude on even state land..its a busy day if i see 3 other cars in a receration area of over 6,000 acres. not to big of a concern.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2006, 06:47:30 AM »
It's common sense and common courtesy.   If you feel you need camo then wear blaze orange camo.   No deer is worth your life.   I know how to tell a deer from a human but I also want to know what is beyond my target.  If I can't see you how do I know you are hiding there 100 yds beyond a deer that I'm shooting at. If you think you are safe hunting in camo on private land you have more faith in human nature than I do.   My land is posted and I still wear orange because outlaws don't obey posted signs and outlaws are the most dangerous hunters in the woods.

I hear you frank. We heavily post our land and still have yahoos who ignore the signs. I have been shot on on private land in the dark because the guy hear us walking in to the woods in the dark. He shot because he thought we were deer. When you hear a shot gun slug wiz by your ear you'll not want to wear blaze orange but now I also use my flashlight to walk to my stand, even on my own property.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2006, 01:21:55 PM »
my first question is how could you mistake a person for a turkey.  Its not like you are shooting at turkey from over 50 yards.
second is.

What idiot shoots at a sound? 

you would have to ask the people that do that stuff, i dont have the answer ???
some people hear a sound and fling lead in that direction if they dont see orange in hopes of killing something, i guess ???

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »

What idiot shoots at a sound? 

The kind of idiot that would do anything to shoot a deer.  >:(
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal