Author Topic: Which broadhead  (Read 7556 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Which broadhead
« Reply #30 on: Aug 31, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
yah just read a bunch of things about the passthrough for rage on Archery Talk, and then watched the rage video, think I made a good choice as far as a mechanical, cant wait to put it to the test in a few weeks, debating whether or not to use it for bear, but I only have 3 so I dont want to run out during deer season

If you want to keep the hide, you may want a smaller diameter. Better penetration would be good too.

Offline kyhareraiser

• Forked
« Reply #31 on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
muzzy 100's is good broadhead to use  but this year i'm trying RAGE
Team Carnivorous Habit

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #32 on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:11:34 PM »
Almost doesn't matter
You'll buy one brand and when you kill a deer with 'em, they will be 'the best ever, outcompeting all others'

I like this answer.

Hit them in the right spot and the broadhead doesn't matter. ;)
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline major257

• Forked
« Reply #33 on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »
The only deer I have killed with a bow was killed with a G5 Montec. I don't know if they are the best though. I am going with T3s this year. I have friends that swear by them.

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Sep 08, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »
i started w/ muzzy 100gr fixed. shot them for two years.  i hated having to adjust my sight when switching from field points to the muzzy's.  i switched to rage 3-blade and can now shoot field points and the rage heads w/out having to move my pins.  that was a big factor for me.

i go through a lot of broadheads each season (last year 6 deer, 1 turkey, 1 porcupine, 1 coyote -- all pass throughs).  i save every shot rage head and take them apart.  sometimes the blades are rutted and need to be tossed.  other times you can sharpen them.  you can buy the blade replacement kits for a lot less than the complete broadhead packages.

over the last three years i've accumulated a nice collection of rage heads, both practice and bladed.  just finished up going through them, cleaning and sharpening, yesterday.  opening day -- one week from today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #35 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:00:38 AM »
Bass for me is there a special tool to take them apart? I can take the points off but not the actual blades.

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »
yes there is a tiny allen wrench that comes with the replacement kit that will remove the tiny blade screws.  first take a sewing needle point and get rid of all the dirt embedded in the screw head.  otherwise you may strip the screw head rendering the broadhead useless!!!

the replacement kits are $20 each.  so 3 rage broadheads for $20!

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #37 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
Interesting, I have the two blades and there is something kinda like a bolt holding them together. Its flat on both sides and has very fine points that good all the way around the top. Is that the same as what you have on yours?

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
the two blade broadheads may be setup differently.  i'm not sure.  i would guess that the 2 blade replacement kit would have whatever you need to change out the blades...

the three blade heads have a tiny screw for each blade.  looks like the two blade heads may have one screw that holds both blades in???

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #39 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »
What the hell they are different. Here is a pic of mine thru a magnifier and it looks like that on both sides.

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2011, 10:22:32 AM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
i have a NIB set of the 2-blades.  it was a gift from my father-in-law.  going to try to trade them for a set of 3-blades. 

anyway, they look the same as yours (at least on the one side i can see).  that sucks!!!  i don't think you can take them apart....

time to switch to the 3-blades   :)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #41 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
Is it a pin you can punch out or is it more like a rivet with flared ends? Call them and ask.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #42 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
that sucks!!!  i don't think you can take them apart....
Yes it does.

Is it a pin you can punch out or is it more like a rivet with flared ends? Call them and ask.
I think its more like some sort of rivet. I may have to do that, at least for now I have four brand new ones.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
The 2 blade have a pin that needs to be pressed out. See FAQs for details. ;)

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/faq/index.php
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
The 2 blade Rage originally came with a roll pin(pic by Bass For Me) to hold the blades, but these were falling out  :o, so they changed to the knurled pin.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal