Author Topic: Which broadhead  (Read 7555 times)

Offline quackersmasher

• Spiked
  • Load up and let the good times fly
Re: Which broadhead
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »
Go with the mechanical rages 100gr cant go wrong
If it flies it dies. Shoot now identify later.

Offline kyhareraiser

• Forked
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
most of the time  muzzy 100'  but this year trying out the RAGE craze
Team Carnivorous Habit

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »
most of the time  muzzy 100'  but this year trying out the RAGE craze
Rage two blades are pretty impressive.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »
Due to Irene i repaired my fibre optics on my bow today..and looked at my 2 rages and 2 others I have.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »
I use steel force phat head SOB's. They are awesome. Tougher than any head I've ever used (watch the video on YouTube just type in steel force phat head SOB) Kind of expensive at 45$ for 3 out of cabelas but if you can get a couple seasons out of em I think it's worth it. Plus they have a guarantee on the blades you just pay S&H and they will sharpen them for the life of the head. Personally I hate rage. I used them or 2 seasons and never had one stay intact after shooting a deer. Blades would always fall out, or they would be so tewisted that I couldn't use em again. Also my blood trails were nothing to write home about. Entry hole is absolutely massive but other than that I'm not a fan. G5 montec CS are really nice too.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
shot Montec last year I believe, trying Rage this year for my first ever mechanical, still have my montecs though, moved up to 125gr...guess we will see what happens
Take a Kid outside...

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I had some success with the Montecs. No complaints they never did me dirty. The Rage's leave a much larger blood trail.

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2011, 08:29:35 PM »
I had some success with the Montecs. No complaints they never did me dirty. The Rage's leave a much larger blood trail.
Didn't you try the Shwackers too?

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Aug 29, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »
Didn't you try the Shwackers too?
Yes, unfortunately I did. Will never use them again and do not recommend them. They aren't even fit to kill a ground hog.

Offline vermonner

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Aug 30, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »
Muzzy 100 gr.

Almost doesn't matter
You'll buy one brand and when you kill a deer with 'em, they will be 'the best ever, outcompeting all others'

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Aug 30, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »
what is the passthrough rate for rage? I know there is alot of variables, but I get awesome penetration from my fixed blades, and this is my first year shooting mechanicals....
Take a Kid outside...

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Aug 30, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
Yep when I first started bow hunting the nap spitfire heads just came out got them now I'm just buying the blades.
Love them I hit shoulder bone once it took that deer right off his feet.
Now before I grab the bow I take my hood off I anchor on my cheek bone.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Aug 30, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »
what is the passthrough rate for rage? I know there is alot of variables, but I get awesome penetration from my fixed blades, and this is my first year shooting mechanicals....
100% so far for me. Granted I just switched to them middle of the season last year and have only shot two deer so far with them. I hope to increase that number in a few weeks. ;D

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Aug 30, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »
yah just read a bunch of things about the passthrough for rage on Archery Talk, and then watched the rage video, think I made a good choice as far as a mechanical, cant wait to put it to the test in a few weeks, debating whether or not to use it for bear, but I only have 3 so I dont want to run out during deer season
Take a Kid outside...

halfrack33

« Reply #29 on: Aug 31, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
wow, thats a little extreme. the bow you saw do this must have been run over by a truck. a bow will never actually be "perfectly tuned" and anyone who has shot long enough knows that. ive shot tournys where you cant adfjust your bow and it rained in the a.m. but the sun came out around noon. to keep my bow "in tune" for the weather and the day i had to drag my bow string back and fourth in the wet grass to keep the same point of impact. otherwise i was high and to the left.  ide look further if you or someone you know got that erratic arrow flight. i can eye ball a bow in about 1 minute and see if its out of wack. all i need is one straigh arrow and a sharpie

In general if the alignment of the bow is off, fixed blades WILL act as rudders that steer the arrow. With less surface area on the wings of mechanicals to steer the arrow, the less they will be pulled off line. Same reason why you can have the alignment off and shoot field tips straight, then put on a broadheads and have your grouping 8" off. Your margin for error is just different from fixed to mechanicals... that's all I"m saying

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal