Author Topic: Which bow???????  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Mainegundog

• Spiked
Which bow???????
« on: Aug 11, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
Hello,new guy here.I am going to get into bow hunting this year.I have been a rifle hunter for 25 years now and will continue to be,but i would like to get out to deer hunt a bit earlier with a bow.My question is what is a good bow to buy as a beginer but will carry me through for awhile,I dont want to buy a new one in two years.I like PSE and can spend about 300 hundo on the bow itself.Any suggestions?????Thank you.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Which bow???????
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
shoot a cheap entry model hoyt. They are still bullet proof. Probably a little more than a PSE but well worth it. Keep in mind I am a hoyt guy too. There powerhawk model or something might do you well. I have a Katera.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Mainegundog

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
Thanks I will check out hoyt bows,I am lucky i guess as i am not yet partial to any bows yet,so i will check them all out,the only one I have shot yet is a PSE stinger.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »
Welcome aboard, Pretty sure my next bow will be a Hoyt.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »
That's one area the bow manufacturers have gotten away from somewhat. They don't make a lot of entry level bows.
It's all about the badest, fastest thing on the market.
I have shot a lot of years, and bought an entry level Alpine a couple years ago.(I just can't justify 7-800 for a bow that doesn't shoot any better than a 200 dollar one) Was 200.00. Shoots 300'/sec and quiet.
Martin still makes a couple less expensive models that shoot well, as does Bear. PSE makes quality equipment as well, their Nova bow had different levels of price and options.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
Mission seems to make some nice bows. Essentially a Matthews but without a lot of the bells and whistles. I thought the price of my mission eliminator was pretty good as I did not want to break the bank buying a new bow.

Offline Mainegundog

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
Thanks guys.I like these hoyt bows been reading on them and you can pick one up pretty cheap on ebay.Does anyone use bowtech?They seem to be a nice bow as well. what is the realistic kill range with a bow?25-35 yards?

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
Yes, I'd say 20 to 30 yards but I have been practicing pretty hard for forty yards. Realistically that is a tough shot to get in the woods but I often hunt field edges and have had many a deer just out of 30 yards.

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
The Mission bows are pretty decent for the price.  If you can afford $300 for just the bow, you're looking at at least another $175 for decent sights, a rest, quiver, and release.  Plus $75-100 for a dozen arrows.  In my opinion, I would got to an archery shop and get measured for your draw length and then shop for a used bow that a couple years old.  You can find some good deals on top end bows with all the accessories.  I have a new Bowtech Destroyer 340 and I love it.  It was pretty pricey but I got a decent deal plus a trade in for my old bow.  The Bowtech Assassin is a very highly rated new bow that comes with all accessories except arrows and release for around $550.

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
As for killing distance, it depends on your experience level.  Some guys have no problem killing big game at 50 and 60 yards.  I could only wish I was that good.  Here in Maine you probably would never get an archery shot longer than 30 yards.  One bit of advice - when you get your bow all sighted in, practice at longer yardages.  It will make 20 and 30 yard hunting shots much easier.  I practice at mostly 40 and 50 yards.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2011, 07:58:37 PM »
I just want to say welcome to the site............... ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Mainegundog

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2011, 04:47:18 AM »
I just want to say welcome to the site............... ;D ;D
Thanks,cap!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2011, 04:49:42 AM »
What part of Maine?
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2011, 07:01:33 AM »
I love my Hoyts! and as for distance like most everyone has said, 20-30yrds, most of your shots especially when placing a stand correctly will be well under 30, prob under 20, most my deer have been shot at 20, but realistically there are people out west who shoot 80yrds, its not easy, takes lots of practice, growing up I kept my pins at 10,20,30 now they are at 20,30,40 and I can guess the 50 if I had to, but the spots I hunt most are under 25. As for brand I do love my Hoyts (own 2) but as long as you get a bow thats all that matters, any new make or model of bow now a days will be pretty fast, light and accurate compared to the older ones. good luck and welcome, bow hunting is def an addiction
Take a Kid outside...

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »
I'd suggest a Hoyt or Bowtech, which ever fits your budget the best.  You can't go wrong with either brand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal