Author Topic: Gas going to 15% Ethanol..  (Read 9688 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Gas going to 15% Ethanol..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
Yeah if 10% is destroying small gas engines, whats 15% going to do. I've just never been able to understand why the auto industry doesn't use
the technology that was discovered in the late 70's. They were testing engines, 4 and 6 cylinders that got 50+ mpg. Seems the government
would regulate the manufacturers to use these. But I guess the oil companies really do run things....Like BP being a big contributor to Obama.... :o

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »
I'm really starting to consider a diesel for my next truck. If 10% ethanol is 10% less efficient, 15% will probably be worse. I've lost two otherwise perfectly good lawn mowers to the ethanol already, I've got them piling up in the garage.

Offline swillerjig

• 6 Pointer
  • Ducks and Bucks
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »
I have cleaned the carb twice in the last 2 months on my boss's four wheeler to find jelly goo-- ethanol in it this last time we had to drain and clean the tank.  ETHANOL SUCKS, same problem with my boat, wondering if I should run my boat till it runs right out of fuel???? Before I put it up for the winter.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:25:02 AM »
I would leave a gallon or so of gas in it, I would first mix marine stabil in and run it for a while to get the stabilled gas in the carb. If it's a four stroke We fog ours with engine oil until it dies. I've never winterized a two stroke, just ran it out of gas and put it in the basement.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »
The Marine grade Sta-bil is like a miracle drug for the small engine's. We run it in every drop of gas around the farm with no issue's since we started using it.

stka, I just bought my first gas powered truck in 15 years, the last 4 have been Diesel. It's almost $8000 more for the engine, 25 cent's more a gallon for fuel and not much difference in milage, add in the cost of fuel filter and oil changes ( $120 each oil change and that's if I do it myself) and the diesel isn't looking so good.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:31:54 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Bogmanjr. I haven't had any problems with my Silverado yet, but my girlfriends Honda Civic sat for a few weeks and keeps dying on me now. I'm thinking the injectors are A.F.U.. Gotta look into how to get them out and decide if I want to do it in the driveway.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:33:40 PM »
I debated for a month on how to winter my old Evinrude. From what I can see on line and talking to a few guys, I went with running completely(as much as it will)
Empty and drain the bowl. Sprayed a little Marvel mystery oil in the carb and ports. We'll see what happens next spring. I also run marine stabil, or
Startron. They both read the same ingredients and seem to work well.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:41:41 PM »
Sounds like you will be good...  Cant wait to pull the tank on my truck and see whats in it..

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
If your luck is anything like mine, I'd just buy the new straps and bolts now. Every time I've dropped a gas tank something has broke.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
Thanks alot... Give me something else to worry about... :o :o :o :o :o

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »
I got lucky the last couple times, sprayed up one side of the strap bolts and pulled them down to get the tank out. But reinforced the straps when done. Getting new is
not a bad idea. Or make some with some thin steel or aluminum.
If it's a plastic tank, you'll be surprised it is to bad inside. The modern internal combustion engine they are making will burn a lot of crap....
As long as they don't sit a long time....

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2010, 01:01:07 PM »
Sorry, been there more than once and had to wait for a ride to get replacements. Good luck.

Offline nyspike

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
anyone use seafoam?
nypike on IS and MFF

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
anyone use seafoam?

I never have but have heard great thing's about it.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal