Author Topic: Why We Hunt  (Read 7751 times)

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
  • The bush is not just a passion , it is in my soul
Why We Hunt
« on: Aug 12, 2004, 08:04:43 PM »
WHY DO I HUNT

Hunting is way beyond an obsession or passion for me , it's in my soul .
I harvest what the creator has put here for me to harvest as I am a predator and always will be . It's not a joy of killing but I do like providing game for the table and I think maybe my roots to the beginning of mankind are boiling stronger in my veins than it does for many non-hunters .
I love the smell of that crisp frost in the morning when I step out to hunt . There is that certain serenity but excitement in the air as the whole world comes to life in the bush . The birds are the first to chirp and then the squirrels . As the sun rises higher the activity level just increases and there are just so many sights and sounds to decipher from .
Now I hear the crunch , crunch in the leaves and I start to prepare myself for the lord of the woods appearance . Almost mystically two shadows appear in front of me and I see it's a doe and a fawn . I watch the interaction between these two as they go about their business for the day . The doe bleats at the fawn when it lags behind as they move up the ridge to bed down for the day in the sun . I also see her pause with ears erect and stomp her feet in warning as a fox slips into the evergreens to what meal he can find .
Oh well not a buck but they were sure nice to see with their shiny coats in the early morning sun .
I hear grouse now flying down out of their roosts and a loon calling on the lake just to my right .
I feel the sun rising and a slight breeze and just enjoy and am thankful that I am alive to see this busy world around me . Activity levels are at an all time high for all animals here during the hunt as the winter is close behind .
I hear crunch , crunch again in the leaves and hear a deer blow coming towards me out of the swamp . I wait in silence and concentrate on where I think the king of the woods will appear from . And there he is , in all his glory carrying his crown high as the the sun glistens and reflects from his armour . I raise my rifle and pull the hammer back and draw a bead right behind his shoulder where his vitals are . I squeeze gently on the trigger and the 94 jumps and cracks in my hand as the buck's body shudders and his tail drops from the hit from the 150 grain piece of lead . He takes one more step and falls never to be again . I am sad but happy for once again being able to put food on the table that was provided by mother nature .
Now this scenario has replayed itself many times over the years but each one is different but the same , and I can just never get enough of it to fulfill the craving in my soul .
To hunt is to gather and harvest a crop in the fall just like any farmer does . I am just that , a farmer and harvester of wildlife and I only take what I need . It was put here for that reason and I get a special satisfaction of not having to drive my stinky ol truck into a parking lot and then put up with all the human artificial scents of a grocery store .
The bush has none of this , and it's smells and sounds are perfume and music to my ears .
I hunt, trap, and fish and I enjoy each as much as the other . I feel alive and I know my blood moves through my veins with an extra pureness as I go on about my time here.
I wish I could explain my thoughts and feelings of why I hunt better , to give it truer meaning but its very personal and religious I think and is beyond putting into mere words .
I feel at home in the bush and at one with nature and good about when I harvest from her bounty and provide for my table as man has done since the beginning of time . I am proud that I have the ability and tools to take any animal in his home range and I am just an intruder for a short period of time .
I love to hunt and it is the purist of the pure to do so . Its freedom and peace for my soul and a complete release of everything . It gives life meaning and why I am here .

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • 6 Pointer
  • zzz zzz zzz
Re: Why We Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2004, 08:11:39 PM »
Wow Trapperdirk I feel like I was there, great story!

-Scott

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
  • Nothing better than bow season!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2004, 09:13:50 PM »
Great story trapper.  I hunt to put meat on the table,  I know I could go to the store and buy meat but when you work to harvest that meat it gives you a whole different view on how hard it is to put that meat on the table and how priceless that expirence was.  I also feel that my treestand is almost like a home.  I get away from all the cars, people everywhere and just enjoy the outdoors.  You know if I would go a year without seeing a deer that would be fine and the memories that I have are still great because I was outdoors and doing something I love.

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2004, 09:16:20 PM »
Great story Trapper made me feel like i was there with you
Bobberstop

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2004, 09:34:39 PM »
That is an incredible story.  I wish that I had that ability,  the ability to make hunting and fishing that big a part of my life.  The feelings are the same,  just not the time spent afield.  Makes me want to get out right now,  Thanks Trapper.
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2004, 05:10:53 PM »
Very nice and well said Trapper!!  I too could envision each scenario you described.  The outdoors is a huge part of my life and I enjoy all its aspects very much.

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
  • The bush is not just a passion , it is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2004, 12:05:57 PM »
Well thankyou lads for the compliments and I'm glad you enjoyed it . ;D

Offline Bear

• Nubbie
  • Killed this buck with my bare hands
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2004, 03:01:26 PM »
How would I live without it? After all, you all know I'm just a bear in the mountains that stumbled upon a computer and learned to type.   :o
Watch out for the Bear. I'm hunting YOU!!!!

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2004, 06:10:06 AM »
Well said Trap,
Few things in life can rival the simple pleasure of being in the woods or on the water. The harvest of fish and game fulfills a natural instinct and balances our lives in this world of instant gratification. We work for our goals and enjoy the successes and failures with equal relish.

The passed shot or the released fish is remembered with the same pride as the game taken.  Memories carried and shared with our compatriots age like fine wine and become what we are.

It IS the stuff of life ;D
REG

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2004, 03:32:15 PM »
Well said Trapper I agree with you and RG completely.  It isn't the Harvest that matters the most, its the experience that you get out of it that last way longer.  Some of the most memorial hunts I've had with my Dad were ones that never had a shot fired. 

Steve

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:05:48 AM »
There is a great article in this months NYS Conservationist magazine about why we hunt.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal