Author Topic: Monster public land, Rhode Island Buck  (Read 3799 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
Monster public land, Rhode Island Buck
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 11:37:21 AM »
The day started off by me heading out of the house to the hunting spot 2 hours after my old man had left and when I got there my power steering crapped the bed. I had enough juice to get my vehicle to a local mechanic to where we were hunting so I left it there, jumped in with my old man and we headed back to the woods. We hunted all day on foot moving from area to area and kept seeing does but they never presented a shot. I already tagged out on a doe but still had a buck tag and my old man still had both tags so anything was game and freezer bound. It was now nearing 1:00 so we decided to try out one more spot for an hour before heading back to the shop and ultimately back home. This spot boarders a stream, swamp and thick white pines with mixed old hardwoods. All day I had a gut feeling that something good was going to happen and boy was I right. After about 25 minutes I heard a snap and when I looked up saw this buck hop out of a patch of pines into another patch and then turned broadside at about 80 yards. I had my lane picked out but decided not to shoot as he was heading directly towards my old man. Now to back this story up for 1 second - when we were walking in my father picked a spot to sit down, on the side of a small hill but as I kept walking further I gave him a signal that where I was standing was actually a better spot. From here you could see further and both sides of the small hill. However, I never saw him actually move to that spot (30 yards difference). Back to the story - Now that I just passed up this monster all I could think of was "did he move to where I told him or did he stay where he was" I knew that the buck was heading right in front of the spot that I said was better but also realized that he may not even see him if he remained in his original spot. About 20 seconds later (and what felt like forever) I heard my old man shoot. CONFIRMED! he did in fact listen and chose my spot and boy did he thank me after. He was about 100 yards from me and after he shot he yelled to me to get over there. He was still trying to reload his muzzle loader as the deer is trying to stand up and take off. He was stumbling but making ground away from us until I lodged a piece of lead into his chest from about 70 yards away.

That, was one of the best stories I have ever experienced and it was with my favorite hunting partner. I could not have asked for anything better and the look on his face was priceless!

I was blessed to have experienced this day in the woods with my old man. His biggest buck ever. Big bodied deer that I am estimating around 190 dressed weight (yes dressed). I have killed some big deer but this thing looked like a horse and also dragged like a horse. Paying for it today.

Moral of the story - Do not let hiccups slow you down. Sometimes its not who is there first or the longest, but simply in the right place at the right time.

Here he be - (I also posted in Iceshanty so sorry for the double for those of you that belong to both)

Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Monster public land, Rhode Island Buck
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
Congratulations to both of you guys.  Lots of memories made...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline kc

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
nice story and a great buck

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »
That's a corker!  Congratulations!!