Author Topic: Wyoming Mule Deer Adventure Pic Heavy  (Read 4657 times)

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Wyoming Mule Deer Adventure Pic Heavy
« on: Sep 15, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »
Well after getting home and trying to get caught back up on things, I thought I share some pictures of my trip to Wyoming.   I had a great time and will diffidently want to go back, starting to buy preference points for a better unit.   We hunted a mixture of walk in and BLM land in the Cody area.  We were hunting these deer going to and from the crop fields by setting up stands and makeshift blinds on fence crossing and pinch point/ funnels.   There was a mixture of muley and whitetail where were were hunting and our tag was good for either so we spent out time hunting both.  The muley where out in the thick drainage's with sage and willows while the whitetails were in the river bottoms where there was cottonwoods and olives.  We saw lots of deer ever day and some really good deer, but seeing them and getting into bow range of them was a different story.           

I was lucky enough to shoot a decent 4x5 on the second night.  We had set up a stand on a beet field the night before and had this group of buck come in which included the buck I shot and a bigger but, they were out of range.  The next day we moved the stand to the hole in the fence they crossed and set up for the night.  This was the worst tree I have ever sat in, it was leaning at a 45 degree angle with large branches growing straight up off of it that we but the stands in.   The wind that night was gusting up to 45 mph and I'm sitting there thinking to my self this is so stupid to be in a tree when its this winds and was really considering getting down.  I was so glad I didn't though as at 630 I had a the same group of bucks from the night before minus the big one coming right in under the stand and I shot the biggest one in the group at 8 yards.  He ran out into the field and made it 80 yards before he crashed.   I started shooting the rocket sidewinder this year and was really pleased with the blood trail it left especially for not getting a complete pass through.    First time I have had this happen but by arrow broke inside the deer when it hit him and the broad head went into the heart and the shaft kept going and lodged into the sternum. 

Unfortunately for my buddy he got one opportunity on a really nice velvet mule deer at 7 yards and he shot right under it as these three bucks came out of a bean field and were headed back to bed one morning.   We saw several nice muley and whitetails the next days but never had another come into range. 

Over all it was a blast we stayed at my friends house in a camper in the yard, hoping he will make it out east to come hunt deer and sika out here this fall show him how we hunt.  Long drive out there and back but we saw lots of different wildlife and some amazing scenery.  Looking forward to my next trip out there.   

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
Re: Wyoming Mule Deer Adventure Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2016, 05:17:46 AM »

Amazing pics Cody, I'm envious you get to spend so much time hunting  ;D ;D ;D Elk or Moose next on the list?
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2016, 05:19:33 AM by mookie »
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2016, 05:18:41 AM »
Wow that's great! Thanks for sharing. Congrats!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2016, 06:46:42 AM »
Wow.  Great trip.  Congratulations!   ;D
It'll chew...

Offline Bugman

• Spiked
  • Serenity and spiritual awareness is what I pursue
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2016, 06:22:20 PM »
Sweet buck I can't living in Florida seem to ever get over the body size of out of state deer . Congrats Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal