Hunting by Game/Technique > Predator Calling

Coyotes at Night

(1/8) > >>

The Smokestick Kid:
Anyone else hunt coyotes at night? I love it! Theres really nothing that compares to the rush of adrenaline that you get when a coyote comes running in and it's pitch black. When you first see the eyes of that 'yote charging across the field or through the woods, your heart gets racing. Then he stops 10 yards from you, and everything is still...until you put a 12 gauge slug in his chest, of course. Or how about when multiple 'yotes come runnin, and start fighting right there in front of you? On a full moon, when that electronic caller is blaring, or I'm screaming on my rabbit in distress call, the action can be intense. Other nights it's dull, and nothing happens. I love this, it's an awesome way to fill the gap between late muzzleloader hunting and ice fishing.

-Zach

PA_BOWHUNTER:

--- Quote from: ChenDeerSlayer on Aug 26, 2004, 01:29:13 PM ---Anyone else hunt coyotes at night? I love it! Theres really nothing that compares to the rush of adrenaline that you get when a coyote comes running in and it's pitch black. When you first see the eyes of that 'yote charging across the field or through the woods, your heart gets racing. Then he stops 10 yards from you, and everything is still...until you put a 12 gauge slug in his chest, of course. Or how about when multiple 'yotes come runnin, and start fighting right there in front of you? On a full moon, when that electronic caller is blaring, or I'm screaming on my rabbit in distress call, the action can be intense. Other nights it's dull, and nothing happens. I love this, it's an awesome way to fill the gap between late muzzleloader hunting and ice fishing.

-Zach

--- End quote ---

I've tried hunting them at night before with little success.  Usually just see alot of foxes.  We have better luck running them with dogs but I would like to figure out how to bag them with a caller.

The Smokestick Kid:
I've found that the key to success is MOVING. You may have to move several times before getting a response. I sit for 15 minutes, then if nothing happens, I move. Don't sit in one spot for too long. Rotating the speaker of your caller also helps.

-Zach

PA_BOWHUNTER:
I have tried several different calls from rabbit squeals to grey fox pup distress calls.  What do you use most often Zach?  I've called in numerous coyotes with a fawn bleat while archery hunting that would have been rugs if I hadn't been carrying my bow, just didn't get close enough to arrow them though.

The Smokestick Kid:
Yep, fawn bleats work great, but turkey calls and a turkey decoy work even better. A coyote will go nuts over a call and decoy! I've had them charge the decoy only to get a slug in the chest just before attacking it. Experiement with all sorts of calls, even some unorthodox ones. For instance, sometimes a jack rabbit call works even better than a cottontail.

-Zach

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version