Hunting by Game/Technique > Small Game

Hunting Rabbit without Hounds

<< < (2/2)

grousemaster789:

--- Quote from: Bobman on Feb 06, 2006, 08:55:15 AM ---I usually hunt without dogs so I no the difficulty you are probably having.  Do you hunt with a partner?  If you do, the best way to go is basically have one person act as you dog and the other person stand by and opening in the brush waiting for a shot.  Once you locate some rabbit cover, whoever is acting as the flusher must push through the cover to try driving the rabbits out.  Make sure to kick every clump of brush and jump on the piles of brush, you'd be surprised at where a rabbit will hide.  The other hunter should be in an area that provides good firing lanes so he can get shots at flushing rabbits.  The next piece of cover just switch places.  Make sure everyone wears plenty of orange and know where each other is at all times.

If hunting alone, I don't even try for rabbits unless there is snow on the ground.  I've take a few incidentally while hunting for grouse or pheasants without snow but hunting alone is tough.  If there is snow I track rabbits back to their cover and just keep working it back and forth.  Hunting rabbits without dogs is tough but can be done.

--- End quote ---

This is a pretty good description, I agree with it a lot.

luckyduck22:
i usuallt use a dog but advice for you who dont is walk through the THICKESTT nastiest stuff that you see and u should be able to kick them out

rabbittrapper:
What I do is just walk normal. When you chase one up whistle. They will stop right in their tracks and BOOM!

monk:
First snow fall is a favorite time, walk along likely areas slowly and steady. Rabbits tend to sit still and with the snow they stick out like a sore thumb. On bitter days go back to areas the sun hits pretty well, sit and watch or walk parallel from a little bit of a distance. They like to sit outside of their hole warming up in the sun, a well placed .22 works best for this situation. The usual way is to walk likely areas, you have to be very erratic, stop and go, vary speed, kick every brush pile, occasionally stomp your foot or kick at a tuff of grass. Never a steady straight line or they will sit tight and let you walk by. Always safety first and good hunting to you...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version