Hunting by Game/Technique > Moose Hunting

Is this a good plan?

(1/3) > >>

fly-in:
I have been moose hunting now for two years and haven't even fired a shot, My father inlaw wants to get out on opening day (a Monday), I have to work the Sunday until about one but then can head out after that. I was thinking of getting up to our moose hunting grounds and getting up to the highest points and try calling on the Sunday night then going back opening morning and try hunting the area.
When we hunt we always get into a spot where there might be a moose and try to call, this would be more like trying to call them into the lake where I will be hunting, then finding them and calling them in for the shot. I know you don't want to call from a hole in the ground, but is there any harm from calling from up high just to bring them in, I have heard that they can pin point where they are being called from, so will a rock 60' up be a bad place to call?

The plus for getting out early will be if we don't get our moose during that week we can come back and hunt again, I guess we could come back during late season too, but the ice is a little scary.

MASTERGUIDE:
Well, the only thing to be concerned about is over calling them, maybe vary it a little or call just a little that night, and try to get one to respond or come in or whatever you want, but no you can call up in a tree if you want, sometimes thats a good place to be to get a shot at one depending on the layout of the area.

MASTERGUIDE

fly-in:
My thoughts were to call for 45min, so three times. I just want to get them comming out of the woodwork, they are in the area and I know they will come a long way to find a cow, so if they start comming my way that night I should have an early morning chance.

deerhunter:
where are you hunting with a aug 15 opening day. kinda warm for that.

fly-in:
Hey DH, we're in Manitoba, the general moose season I'm hunting opens Sept.19. So it is hard to say what the weather will be like, but it could be warm which could make calling next to usless. But our luck hasn't been good later in the month either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version