MHF US Northeast > Hunting New Hampshire

Youth weekend

(1/3) > >>

Huntnfish603:
Good start to the season, and even better spending time with my boy in the woods.
First bird of the year down by 630.
We had several nice toms scouted, but this time, due to a tough setup close to the roost, we kicked the blind and dekes to the curb and went old school. It's always easier with kids and their fidgeting to use the blind but this was his first run n gun experience (my preferred tactic when I'm alone). Gobblers were goin crazy at dawn but moved in the wrong direction for our location. One popped right up on top of us on the ridge , and he couldn't get swung around in time...busted.
We figured we could run down the ridge and sit on a field hoping to intercept. After an hour, nothing. Then 5 jakes popped out and came right across the field straight at us. We usually only shoot Toms but he was perfectly fine and still excited taking a jake if the right shot presented itself, since he could get a trophy tom with his second bird.. It did, dropped him at 15 yds with no coaching. 16 pounder still provided some nice breasts for the grill.
Great to watch him grow and improve skills and most importantly become even more passionate about being a hunter and spending time in the woods. Sunday we just watched some birds..his words "I don't want to shoot one today and my season to be over in the first weekend, I want to be able to spend the month in the woods" Atta boy.
Good luck to all this month!!

Green Mountian Hunter:
 :) Congrads to the young fella always great seeing the young ones getting involved in the hunting sport

Raquettedacker:
Congratulations to you and your son.   Great memories made right there...👍👍

CAPTJJ:
That's great.

aquaassassin:
That’s awesome Jason! Congrats to you both! I love to see it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version