MHF US Northeast > Hunting Maryland

Halloween Buck

(1/3) > >>

hesseltine32:
Got lucky Halloween night and was able to shoot this 8. Was the first night I’d gone in after him and the weather was perfect. He showed up two weeks earlier on camera and two days before Halloween was the first time I got pics of him in day light.  Had seen two button bucks and a doe earlier in the night before this guy came in. Watched him for 15-20 mins work his way in freshening up a scrape and shredded a few trees. Finally came in to 17 yards. Was a very steep angled shot. I was on the top side of the hill and he was down below me probably 35-40 feet height difference as I climbed high up the tree to not be busted by deer on the top.

I aimed high to compensate for the steep angle but seeing the impact I was nervous  it was higher then intended, as he dropped on the shot I believe. After he took a few bounds I got my confidence back as I knew he was dead on his feet at that point when I saw his ass end start coming around to the front as he took off down the hill and was running into saplings. Made it about 50 yards and tipped over.

I am really happy with this buck. This year has been a struggle as most of the bucks I had on camera and had some encounters with early season had disappeared in late September and early October. The county I hunt most of the time got hammered with EHD this year and some places lost 50-70% of the deer.  The rut this year was the worst Iv seen here. Hardly saw any rutting activity and first time seeing zero chasing. 

Still have 3 bucks left I’d like to get a chance at. Iv seen the two bigger ones twice this season but both times out of bow range. The third I haven’t really hunted for as rack wise not a lot going on. Now that guns open and I have a new buck tag I will go after him if he shows on camera in daylight. Giant bodied 6 this year I believe he's 8 years old. If history repeats itself don’t have high chances as the only time Iv seen him and gotten pics of him in the daylight is during the rut.

Lost of season left gotta keep grinding and trying to find some more big boys that survived.

aquaassassin:
Great deer! Congrats! Love the fanatic vest

Raquettedacker:
Congratulations.  Whats the length of the longest tine?

lv2hunt:
Great Buck congrats!!

CAPTJJ:
Beautiful buck Cody. They were rutting good around here Halloween weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version