MyHuntingForum Main > MHF Whitetail Team Challenge

How do you scout new land?

(1/2) > >>

ActiveTrapChecker:
I have received permission to hunt a parcel that is in one of the WMU's i have a doe permit for. Before I get the batteries in the trail cams and go for a hike in a few weeks, I thought I'd solicit the thoughts of the forum.

How do you prepare for a hunting season on a fresh parcel of land?

Green Mountian Hunter:

--- Quote from: ActiveTrapChecker on Aug 23, 2018, 10:33:38 AM ---I have received permission to hunt a parcel that is in one of the WMU's i have a doe permit for. Before I get the batteries in the trail cams and go for a hike in a few weeks, I thought I'd solicit the thoughts of the forum.

How do you prepare for a hunting season on a fresh parcel of land?

--- End quote ---
What do you have for a water source ; Then you have any old logging skid roads ; Topo map's will give an idea before you hike it .......

fishnmachine:
I always start with topo maps, then satellite imagery and a Gazetteer.

ActiveTrapChecker:
Thanks Green Mountain Hunter and Fishnmachine.

GMH, it is relatively flat 27.7 acre property with a creek that runs through it. There are additional parcels outside of those 27+ acres owned by third parties.

Machine, have taken a look at the topo maps and as stated above, not a lot of variation, although there should be some that feed into the creek.

I think next steps will be to walk the property with the owner, mark the property bounders on a GPS site and throw some cameras up.

They hope to have one or more less does eating the garden come next springs...

I will keep you posted as I go along, in the event you want to travel the journey as well

Green Mountian Hunter:
The boy's love water cut a good many tracks along the brook's shot them not far after jumping them
don't ask me why but think they love the music of the water trickling . Doe's love there thick cover .......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version