Hunting by Game/Technique > Moose Hunting

Moose Rifle

<< < (2/3) > >>

TallywackahME:
Congratulations, you clearly took it to a unreasonable extreme....you seem to always have some foolish and childish response to everything. You seem to know a lot about this subject so why don't you teach me something professor?

If you read the post he was comparing two very similar calibers. Not a .222 and a .450.

mooseslayer71:
id go w/ the 300wsm w/ a big game bullet like the partition in 165grn. a 270 w/ the 150grn. will do the job but with a choice id go bigger. 165grn. shoots a little flatter than the 180 grn. with a little more velocity for the possibility of a long range road or clearcut shot. also an awesome big buck round. my bro.s a guide and many of his sports used his gun w/ that load. most dropped w/ 1 shot w/ good shot placement. massive damage!  friggin' deadly!

corny13:
I used the 300WSM with a 165 gr Barnes triple shock..... in retroscope prob should have used a bigger gun.  Called the bull out of the thickets at 200yds.  Broadside shot, guide said he thought I missed as it didn't even flinch.. second shot same...third...same.  Guide was worried Id missed him.  He went down 25 min later as hadn't come out with me on the ridge above the bog and spruce thicket...he had only gone 10 ft in (couldn't see from above though)  I had hit him all three times lung and heart.

oldpro51:
Well congrats on your 1st moose !!!  seems like you had enough gun the moose is in your freezer ...... I use a 30.06 and shoot 165 grain bullets with great results .... sometimes it just the animal  even if you hit them right on the money ..... I ve seem bull caribou drop right on the spot and pronghorn antelope run 100 yards same bullet and shot placement.... you had a tough moose that only made it 10 yards after being hit ..... 3 shots .. that was the least expensive part of the hunt ... I always told my kids ... boys and girls ...never believe the old ( he was dead on his feet ) couldn't believe he went that far  !!! if they are on their feet they AINT DEAD  !!! great job on scratching one off your bucket list after the 30 year wait !!!

Alex D. Large:
Congrats! Do you have any pics to post. I was fortunate also and dropped a bull in his tracks with a 30-06 shooting 180 grain rem core-lokt. I guess I didn't a "partition".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version