Author Topic: Gettin' There  (Read 1997 times)

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
Gettin' There
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »
Let's try this,

Some times the most memoable part of the hunt or trip is "getting there" who has a good story about a disaster encountered or averted during a hunt? I can think of several but I'll start with this one

Took a couple of days off and headed on the 2 1/2 hour drive to camp for a few days of deer hunting. My buddy Jeff was with me and we planned on getting to camp and opening up with the rest of the gang arriving that evening. Thing went off with out any problem and for a change we left on time, no forgotten gear. No have to stop at the store and pick this up, just the drive ahead of us. We were about an hour into the ride when a terrible noise came from under the truck which lasted for about 5 seconds than stopped. We pulled over and checked everything out and could find no problem. We did pull a small piece of sapling ( from an earlier trip) out of the frame and because it was a bit chewed up thought it might have gotten wrapped in the drive shaft causing the noise. When we pulled out and resumed in our journey there was no more strange noise and no apparent problem. We had traveled another 20 minutes or so and had reached our cruising speed of somewhere between 20 and 75 MPH, maybe closer to the later and not the former number. As we started down a slight grade towards a four way intersection in the center of a small town, the noise came again this time with a violent shuddering of the truck. Almost immediately the front of the truck  settled to the left. I couldn't help but notice that there was a wheel that looked remarkably similar to the one that was on, or supposed to be on the left front of my truck wildly bouncing down the road in front of us.
    As we hurtled towards the intersection, watching the tire bounce and the pretty display of sparks now passing my window, Jeff looked at me and stated the following " Huh,.... that ain't right"
   Thank you Captain obvious.
 After we managed to get stopped and inspect the carnage I found that all 5 lugs had come out of the front wheel. To this day I do not know how or why , but at least it didn't look serious. We managed to use a phone and call a tow truck. The driver was cool and took us to a local dealership. We explained the predicament to the service manager who put us at the head of the line and confirmed that no serious damage was done and all we needed to be on our way was 5 new lugs.  Problem....he didn't have any in stock but he'd call around and find some. We waited for a couple of hours before I lost my patience. Long story short, I traded in my truck on the spot and bought a brand new one and eventually made it to camp.  Most expensive hunting trip I have ever taken

If your wondering how the wife took it? It was her idea. I called her to have her let the other guy's know that we were a bit delayed. She said "You need a new truck anyway and your at a dealership......"

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:38:40 PM by slt »
Fight crime. Shoot back!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal