Author Topic: The funniest worst start to a good hunt  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Blaze Orange

• Forked
The funniest worst start to a good hunt
« on: Jun 15, 2005, 02:59:06 PM »
Well, ME and my dad got up to go out duck hunting. We stayed at our lodge. As we sat around the breakfast table all members draw cards to see who get to pick the spot first. Sure enough we were last to pick our spot. So we ended up having a 45 minute paddle out to our spot named  "Tompson"
We setup our decoy spread and get situated in the reeds, Then my dad says to pass him his gun. Before he even had it in his hands he knew something was very wrong. He just about said every swear in the book before he told me that he forgot the gun trigger lock keys in the truck. Needless to say by the time we got back to our spot of course there were about 15 nice mallards in amoungst our decoy spread. Before we were parked into the reeds again we tipped the canoe so we were soaking wet for the rest of our day.  ::)  :o Anywhoo we both filled up our limits by 5 and went back to the lodge with the most birds out of anyone. One guy asked me why it took 2 hours before he heard a shot. I just laughed to my self.  :o ;D ;D
never fails, when you need to take a leak you miss the big one.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: The funniest worst start to a good hunt
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2005, 02:18:32 PM »
In my neck of the woods you are lucky to see a buck, if not get one. Last fall I climbed into my stand the day after thanks giving. The clouds were looking very dark and the wind was picking up. In the corn field below me I could see a spike horn making his way across the field. It was shotgun only in that area so I blew my grunter to get him to change directions. Only instead of coming towards me he turned and ran away. I was p$$$$, I wanted to get my deer before the snow I saw coming across the valley hit. Too late. I sat huddled up in a blinding snow squal in my tree stand for 2 1/2 hours. As soon as it stopped I heard crashing and grunting behid me. I stood up and a doe came running by followed by the biggest buck I've ever seen on our farm. When he stopped I shot and he ran off into the thick brush. I heard more grunting from where he was and  the doe took off up the hill again followed by what I thought was my buck. I couldn't believe it. I watched as they ran over to my neighbors property where I heard a shot a minute later. I thought well there goes my buck. I quickly got down and walked over to where the buck was standing when I shot. Just a few hairs and some of the biggesttracks I had ever seen in the 4 inches of snow that fell. I followed them for 50 yards and not a drop of blood. I was getting really discouraged when , as I entered the thick brush, there was blood every where from the ground up to 6 feet  in the trees and brush. 20 yards later I came across the tallest racked 9-pointer I ever saw. Plus that other buck I saw chasing that doe my dad shot 2 days later. a beautiful 8-pointer.  It taught me not to get discouraged if I think that I missed. Track it no matter what just to make sure.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2005, 02:19:45 PM »
During my first year of teaching, being new I did not want to look bad by taking off opening day of shotgun season. It was killing me not being in the woods on opening day. WHat made it worse was alot of my students, both male and female did take off to go hunting. All day long they came in in dribs and drabs telling me how they shot a doe or a spike or a fork horn. I was dying. So as soon as it was the end of the day I quickly ran home, changed into my hunting outfit, grabbed my shotgun and away I went. I was at my hunting spot for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden I had a coyote run by me. I took a couple of shots at the coyote. I went to see if I hit him. after searching for 20 minutes I determined I missed. As I was coming out of the brush there stood a nice fat doe. I brought the gun up and dropped right where she was standing. It felt good to beable to get some meat for the freezer and I didn't feel bad about not taking opening day off.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline bwhunter2417

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2007, 09:16:18 AM »
2004 Archery season in Pennsylvania, the last week, rut was in full swing...

i woke up around 330 in the morning, took a scent shower and got layered up in long johns.  i was pumped because it was the first snowfall of the season and i didnt have class until noon or so.  i was hunting a home-made stand on my buddy's property and told him all i needed was one hunt out of it and i'd kill a nice buck.  he of course thought i was full of it... anywho, i locked my apt door behind me, clothes bag, bow case and boots in hand.  as soon i shut the door, i realized i locked my keys in the apt.  i ran the stuff down to my truck and back up to the apt.  my roomate (the owner of the property) had already left to sit his stand.  i tried to jimmy open the apt door and ended up breaking 3 plastic cards (including one debit card).  ended up kicking in the apt door, with wood splinters flying everywhere (which i had to replace later), grabbed my keys and took off.  i did about 80 mph down a dirt road where maybe 45 mph is safe.  made it to the farm with maybe 20 minutes before sun-up.  turns out i parked at the wrong spot and got turned around in the swamp heading to this stand.  sunk in the muck up to my knees, and finally made it to stand just as sky was starting to lighten up.  at this point it's just been a wreck so far, and i figure id be lucky to see a deer. to make things worse, i had a severe case of bronchitis and was coughing like a mad man.  luckily the stand was close to a road so i would try to hold it in until a car went by or would hide it by calling with a doe bleat while coughing.  somehow it worked and i ended up calling in a 10 pt.  after making a solid 20 yard shot and watching the buck drop, i drug him to my truck and headed back to town. 

oops... ran out of gas about 4 miles outside of town.  i had to buy one gallon from a farmer for 10 bucks just to get back to town.  not to mention while my buck was hanging to be caped out, it fell from the pole and landed on top of my head.  didnt really feel the greatest but the rack wasnt damaged so i didnt care. and to put the icing on the cake, i didnt have time to clean up before class, so i went still wearing snow camo pants and blood up to my elbows.  needless to say i got some strange looks

When in doubt....BACK OUT

trespassers BEWARE of flying objects.... they may be bullets

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal