Author Topic: Marrinades  (Read 9103 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Nubbie
Marrinades
« on: Aug 22, 2004, 02:56:27 PM »
Ok so what do you marrinade you wild game in
I make a lot of my own and 1 is useing Cola and it seems to tenderize the meat quite well, just add a few of you favorite ingrediants such as either fresh onions or onion powder a little garlic some pepper and let it soak for a few hrs or best is over night. Also try a wine of choice and some spices you enjoy and let it stand the same. Then Grill till med rare and let sit for a few min before serving. I know their are more things to use but everytime I cook I experament a little and so far everything has been really good.

Cold Feet

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
Re: Marrinades
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2004, 04:00:10 PM »
For squirrel or rabbit I soak the pieces in a mix of
3 cups water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tbs kosher salt
1 tbs sugar

I soak it overnight then dredge in seasoned flour and pan fry slow til tender.

MMMMMMM! I gotta go squirrel huntin soon.
RG

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2004, 04:06:39 PM »
I soak goose and duck breast in teriyaki sauce for 4 hours.

Then cook on the gas grill until just short of medium.

mmmmmmmmmm!
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2004, 09:24:07 AM »
I will have to try the cola and see how that works. Will have to try for the goose as well.

For the most part I love to hunt but give almost 100% of the harvested game away to friends, co workers, etc...
Just do not like the taste. I only save about 1/2 to 1 deer a year for the sausage I make.

I really want to like the taste of deer again.

I am gonna have to try the cola for sure.

Jon

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2004, 06:56:57 AM »
Cider you are correct about the milk thing.  I use it alot of times when I cook wild game for "Picky" friends.  It also works for fish.

Something that I religiously do with Deer is let it hang over night to bleed out a bit then I'll quarter and bone the meat, put in a plastic bag and refridgerate it for 2-3-4 days.  After this time I then complete the processing of the venison.  I've notice the meat is a bit more tender using this technic.  Anyone else do it this way?

One side note........if you don't have a Vacumn sealing system, get one!!!

Steve

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2004, 09:47:19 AM »
Mike, thats why I age it in the fridge....No bug's, doesn't dry out and if I only have time to do half in a night no problem.  Oh one important thing to mention as I forgot to before.  I am forbidden to hang any wild game near my home, landlords wifes orders, so I hang at the Farm and get rid of it as soon as possible.  Cut's down on any problems.

Steve

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2004, 09:51:33 AM »
I like to skin and quarter my deer as quickly as possible to ensure the meat cools quickly.  I also remove the scents glands from the legs when field dressing.  If temps allow I will let my game hang (age) for 3-5 days before processing.  I do this in a clean area out of sunlight ( a specially prepared area in the back of my parents barn).  I am very pleased with the taste and tenderness of the meat when cared for this way.  The last buck I shot was a large 3 1/2 year old 11 point that I thought would be tough and gamey for sure.  After preparing the first meal from this deer I found it to be every bit as good as the doe I had taken earlier in the season.

Milk and cola both work well for tenderizing and removing any gamey flavor from wild game.

I'll post my marinade recipe later when I have a little more time which is awesome for venison and very good on goose.

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2004, 02:18:13 PM »
This is a good one for deer.

Deer Marinade

1 lb Carrots, raw
1 lb Onions, yellow
1/2 lb Celery, incl. tops
8 c Vinegar
4 c Wine, red
1 tb Parsley, chopped
3 Bay leaves
1 ts Thyme
1 ts Peppercorns, crushed
1 tb Allspice, whole
1 ts Salt

Saute carrots, onions and celery, finely chopped, in 4 Tbsp fat. Don't cook so hot that vegetables become browned. Add remaining ingredients and boil then simmer, covered, for 1/2 hour. Allow to cool and you are ready to use. Cover the meat completely if possible. If not, turn every 1/2 hour while in marinade. Otherwise, if meat fully covered, turn about every 3 hours. Keep meat in marinade for from 2 hours to 48 hours depending on your assessment of the tenderness and flavor of the deer. Refrigerate if more than 8 hours. Keep marinade, strained, for gravy or soup flavoring. 

Bobberstop

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2004, 04:56:38 PM »
I'll post my marinade recipe later when I have a little more time which is awesome for venison and very good on goose.

OK, here it is, Josh's often imitated, never duplicated spiedie sauce! ;D

This recipe is enough for 3 lbs of cubed or steaked venison or the same amount of goose, duck or chicken breast meat.

12 oz.    Italian salad dressing (can be sugar free but not light!)
12oz.     cola (I prefer Pepsi with this recipe but Coke or other will work)
4 Tbsp   A-1 steak sauce
3 Tbsp   Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp   Spicy Brown Mustard
2 tsp      Garlic powder
2 tsp      Onion powder
1 tsp      Kosher salt
1 tsp      Horseradish ground (white, no beet juice)
1 tsp      Black and Cayenne pepper (or more to taste)

That's it!  Marinate for at least 24 hours, stirring at least once every 12.  I usually use venison cubes on a kabob alternated with slice of onion, green, yellow and red pepper, and whole jalapenos.  Place them on the grill on high heat, turn once and cook till med. rare!  Place them on Italian rolls for your soon to be pleased guest or hoard them for yourself.  ;D   The beauty of preparing meat with this method is that even tougher cuts come out very tender when finished.  Like I mentioned earlier this is a great way to prepare waterfowl as well.  Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2004, 12:25:41 PM by PA_BOWHUNTER »

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2004, 04:55:47 PM »
PA Bowhunter  (Josh)

I tried out your marinade tonight with a few changes.  I used it on Pork Chops which marinaded for about 7 hrs.  I then cooked them on a fire and ice grill which is kind of like cooking on a Forman Grill.  The one recommendation I would like to make is using real onions instead of powder.  when I grilled the chops,  I threw them on the grill with and they were a great addition.  Overall,  the recipe was great and I will make some changes next time,  including doing the marinade for 24 hrs.  Thanks a lot!!
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2004, 05:54:46 PM »
PA Bowhunter  (Josh)

I tried out your marinade tonight with a few changes.  I used it on Pork Chops which marinaded for about 7 hrs.  I then cooked them on a fire and ice grill which is kind of like cooking on a Forman Grill.  The one recommendation I would like to make is using real onions instead of powder.  when I grilled the chops,  I threw them on the grill with and they were a great addition.  Overall,  the recipe was great and I will make some changes next time,  including doing the marinade for 24 hrs.  Thanks a lot!!

Mike, glad you liked it.  I use it on everything from venison and beef to waterfowl to chicken and turkey with slight changes.  Yes fresh is always better than powdered, I don't always have the real deal on hand but do often use fresh onion and garlic.

Offline redneck

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2004, 08:29:36 PM »
If you want to leave them hang and temp is warm. I hang them upside down and fill them with ice and then wrap them in some old blankets then duct tape them shut works great. You can keeps them a few days that way just keeps adding ice. This also cleans the insides out really well.
Redneck

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2005, 07:23:27 PM »
My personal favorite is to cut the loin in about 1" thick pieces then let them marinade in Italian dressing for a day. Then wrap them with a slice of bacon and secure with a shishcabob stick then grill only till bacon gets almost crispy. It doesn't get any better than that.
     Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
  • The bush is not just a passion , it is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2005, 04:43:36 AM »
Zesty Italian sauce works for me . ;)

TD

Offline swampbum

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2005, 10:44:40 PM »
something a little different my buddy andrew and I came up with opening weekend of muzzleloading last year

marinade your venison in pumpkin brandy and black pepper then cook over coals to medium

WOW!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal