Author Topic: Baked rabbit casserole  (Read 5155 times)

Offline seags

• 6 Pointer
Baked rabbit casserole
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »
Hi, I was looking for some vintage archery magazine's downstairs and I found a very small Marlin cookbook.
After paging through it I found a couple of good one's we made in the past.
Here is what you need:
2 rabbits
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
4 or 5 or 6 slices of bacon
1 cup of water
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
A good shot of liquid smoke
1 cut your rabbits in severing size pieces and soak them in water with 1 teaspoon of salt per quart of water for about 8 hours, drain your rabbits and wrap them in a damp cloth over night in the fridge.
2 butter a large casserole dish, place some bacon on the bottom of the dish and layer it with a few pieces of the rabbit top with some salt and pepper and thyme; you could add a bay leaf or two, add more bacon slices.
3 repeat until everything is used except.
Now step 4 pour the water over the casserole and drop in the liquid smoke and bake covered any-where between 1-2 hours.
Now step 5 remove cover and add the bread crumbs to top it off and let go 20-30 to it is brown and crispy.
I hope that you will like it.
Grandma would make rabbits baked in the oven with a Chile sauce {give me some time on that one}
   I tried rabbit on the rotisserie wrapped with bacon , bad move, one of the worst I had.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: Baked rabbit casserole
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »

I got to come over for supper  :P You sure do know how to make a guy HUNGREY !!!!
  Got to try this but it is yummy yummy .....

Offline seags

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »
Hi, I was looking for some vintage archery magazine's downstairs and I found a very small Marlin cookbook.
After paging through it I found a couple of good one's we made in the past.
Here is what you need:
2 rabbits
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
4 or 5 or 6 slices of bacon
1 cup of water
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
A good shot of liquid smoke
1 cut your rabbits in severing size pieces and soak them in water with 1 teaspoon of salt per quart of water for about 8 hours, drain your rabbits and wrap them in a damp cloth over night in the fridge.
2 butter a large casserole dish, place some bacon on the bottom of the dish and layer it with a few pieces of the rabbit top with some salt and pepper and thyme; you could add a bay leaf or two, add more bacon slices.
3 repeat until everything is used except.
Now step 4 pour the water over the casserole and drop in the liquid smoke and bake covered any-where between 1-2 hours.
Now step 5 remove cover and add the bread crumbs to top it off and let go 20-30 to it is brown and crispy.
I hope that you will like it.
Grandma would make rabbits baked in the oven with a Chile sauce {give me some time on that one}
   I tried rabbit on the rotisserie wrapped with bacon , bad move, one of the worst I had.
[/quote.
I am doing this from memory how grandma would make BBQ rabbits or pork steaks in the
oven for late Saturday dinner, the Friday night  before she would some chopped fine green peppers, onions, garlic and slowly cook in small sauce pan, then add Chile sauce as with Open-Pit BBQ sauce and it seemed for ever, I was the sauce guy and waited till it was cool and put into a quart Mason jar in the fridge to let rest. Grandmas next move was to tell me order a pizza, with pizza we would play cards as with some of my bud's would go there we normally would play 4 corners and have a few whiskeys {more on that one}  The next day was Saturday and college football before cable/dish , grandma would have that oven on high heat, I walked around in shorts and a hoodie trying to watch college football and have glass of tea.
Grandma laid the rabbits, pork steaks in a 9X13 pan, but the pain had a tilt to it so that the grease will go to the corner, she would top them with salt pepper onion slices as with lemon slices and bake covered  for about 1 half to 2 hours, then uncovered top with the BBQ sauce
and it went for another 30 minutes.
I tried from memory, grandma is not with us

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
sounds pretty good!! Ill have to try this soon, thanks for the idea

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:25:06 PM »

I am giving this a try  ; Grandma's no the cooking thing way to well and always loved going to grandma's for here cooking as well ....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal