MyHuntingForum Main > General Hunting Discussion

New to reloading

<< < (2/2)

centerpinjosh:
Thanks for the info guys ... Greatly appreciated

SlickRockHounds:
you bet.

heres some links to powder bushing charts.

https://issuu.com/grafandsons/docs/mec_powder_bushing_chart_singles

centerpinjosh:
So I loaded up some 20 ga shells and used green dot powder... I followed the load data  completely  and if any thing a little light on the powder.. Winchester AA hulls Winchester AA wads green dot powder and Winchester primers... The shells shot just fine but I noticed they were very dirty after shooting them (gun was disgusting afterwards)...my thoughts are it wasn't burning whole powder charge.... Any ideas on what went wrong??

seags:

--- Quote from: centerpinjosh on Mar 24, 2019, 11:07:45 AM ---So I loaded up some 20 ga shells and used green dot powder... I followed the load data  completely  and if any thing a little light on the powder.. Winchester AA hulls Winchester AA wads green dot powder and Winchester primers... The shells shot just fine but I noticed they were very dirty after shooting them (gun was disgusting afterwards)...my thoughts are it wasn't burning whole powder charge.... Any ideas on what went wrong??

--- End quote ---
Hi,
The powder is burning.
  Green dot burns slower then Red dot, the dirty/burned spent hulls sounds like something from 800X powder.
 I would put your powder charges on the scale and see what your actual grain weight is, as with the right size bushing, then again Green dot might be too stout for your 20 Ga.
Thank you

SlickRockHounds:

--- Quote from: centerpinjosh on Mar 24, 2019, 11:07:45 AM ---So I loaded up some 20 ga shells and used green dot powder... I followed the load data  completely  and if any thing a little light on the powder.. Winchester AA hulls Winchester AA wads green dot powder and Winchester primers... The shells shot just fine but I noticed they were very dirty after shooting them (gun was disgusting afterwards)...my thoughts are it wasn't burning whole powder charge.... Any ideas on what went wrong??

--- End quote ---

Nothing went wrong, green dot at low pressure is a dirty powder, nature of the beast.

Green Dot is NOT a Great 20 gauge powder. 

if you are planning on shooting low velocity loads in a 20 CLays or Unique will be much better cleaner) burning for you, even red dot will burn cleaner. maybe a decade? ago green dot makers came out with a warning not to load it in anyhting in 20 ga over 3/4 oz loads because of pressure problems in AA hulls, the newer ( last 20years) AA hulls are very inferior to the hulls we have always had from W AA.

7/8 loads in a 20 make for dirty burning with a 20, just the way it is...if you are only going to load target loads for 20 gauge I'd think about Clays , I have not used it much because i buy pallets of green and red dot at a good price and I'm set up for them the last 3oplus years, i hate to change itits working fine...but if i was starting out I'd probably try Clays in the 20s

certain powder burns dirty

I'm glad you are cranking them out, just keep shooting and loading, I'd think about saving the green dot for the 12 ga and try Clays or Unique in the 20 for cleaner loads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version