Author Topic: Mandarin Duck  (Read 3013 times)

Offline seaweed

• Spiked
Mandarin Duck
« on: Oct 19, 2005, 10:07:46 PM »
My friend got a drake mandarin duck this week with a tag # 4510. No other letters or
other markings on the band. We have called PA and NY, also the US Fish and Wildlife
Service, Laurel, MD. They all have said that it is not their band and have no idea of where
it was banded or where it could of came from.
Does anyone out there have any ideas how we can find out any information on it?
Thanks in advance.

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
Re: Mandarin Duck
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2005, 06:46:39 AM »
That duck probably came from a zoo. mandarin ducks arent found in north america unless its someones pet or it escaped from a zoo. the tag was probably to identify it for personal use only and was a raised duck or something like that.

Offline seaweed

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:43:08 AM »
That's what we thought, but it doesn't hurt to put the
question out there to different people. You know the
old saying, " if you don't ask - you won't find out."

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2005, 11:39:30 AM »
i dont blame you for asking, i would have if i didnt know. my brother always says that you learn stuff by asking a lot of questions.... sometimes he goes overboard though, haha. if you just do a google search for mandarin ducks you can find info on them, they are found naturally in asia and china.

Offline Dogman

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2005, 08:24:54 PM »
Hope you don't get any irate E-mail from some zoo keeper.

Offline pintowagon

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:24:16 PM »
I shot a mallard duck with a toe band on it and the dnr had no Idea on that also.. The duck probably got out of someones game farm...

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:57:54 PM »
I shot a mallard duck with a toe band on it and the dnr had no Idea on that also.. The duck probably got out of someones game farm...

more than likely..... a lot of times people raise them but let them roam free and they actually migrate with wild birds but come back to the same summer range every year because they know they get fed there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal