Author Topic: 3 wood ducks this year?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
3 wood ducks this year?
« on: Aug 15, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
USFWS has approved a 3 wood duck limit for the Atlantic Flyway.  It is now up to each state agency to allow or disallow the limit change from 2 to 3.  I hope NY adopts it.  We have all kinds of woodies here early on.

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
Re: 3 wood ducks this year?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2008, 10:36:03 PM »
pretty sure michigan took it.
this will be my first year chasing these birds
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2008, 09:33:19 AM »
pretty sure michigan took it.
this will be my first year chasing these birds
They did adopt it. Here is the limits.

Statewide Daily Limit for Ducks and Mergansers

There are daily limit restrictions on some species that are heavily harvested (e.g., mallards) or whose populations have demonstrated long-term decline (e.g., pintails and scaup).  Canvasback season is closed.

The daily limit for ducks is 6 and may include:

no more than 4 mallards (no more than 1 of which may be a female)
1 scaup (bluebill) except for the following dates in each Waterfowl Hunting Zone where the daily limit is 2:

North Zone:          October 11 - October 30

Middle Zone:         October 18 - November 6

South Zone:         October 25 - November 13

3 wood ducks
2 redheads
1 northern pintail
1 American black duck
Canvasback season is closed
In addition to the duck limit, hunters may take 5 mergansers, only 2 of which may be hooded merganser.

The possession limit is twice the daily limit for ducks and mergansers.

Offline Dull Hooks

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2008, 04:59:35 AM »
Cool now if it doesn't get too cold too quick they'll stay around, but the first good cold snap they're usually gone by by. There's nothing more gorgeous than a mature drake woodie..

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2008, 02:04:45 PM »
I cant wait!
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »
3 wood ducks for NYS this season.  No canvasbacks and a reduced season for bluebills.  Bluebills will have a 60 day season of which there will be a limit of 2 birds for 20 days of it and a limit of 1 for the other 40 days.

JUST 10 DAYS LEFT UNTIL RESIDENT GOOSE SEASON!!!

Offline gearjammer

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »
guess my state is behind the 8 ball.they just had the advisory meeting on dates and limits last fri. early goose starts around 09/02
maybe

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2008, 01:24:12 PM »
Only 3 woodies? we're aloud 6 up here in the northern part of the flyway, not hard to get a limit of them around here hunting beaver ponds
It flies it dies

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »
Yeah ff Canada has much more liberal bag limits than we have down here.  You guys are allowed to shoot 3 black ducks where we can shoot only 1 and we are allowed only 4 mallards where you can shoot 6.  Our woodie limit was just aised to 3 this year, but you can shoot 6...wow.  I love wood ducks.

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2008, 03:37:11 PM »
I love being able to shoot three black ducks but personally i think it should be like you guys and be only 1 maybe 2 and up the mallard limits. Black ducks are getting pretty scarce as they start to hybridize with mallards, not to mention habitat loss. When i started hunting 8 years ago mallards where almost unheard of around here and blacks were pretty common, now its the opposite, your more lucky to see or shoot 3 black duck then kill a limit of mallards
It flies it dies

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal