Author Topic: Is everyone ready?  (Read 16181 times)

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Is everyone ready?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 10:34:30 AM »
spring turkey and bow season always have rain gear out because it will always rain it rained all morning here and now its getting close to afternoon and the sun is coming out i bet it does this all may lol heck it snowed here all day yesterday but hopefully i have 1 on friday(if i can get out) then finish on sunday with my 2nd bird

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 11:05:20 AM »
are these birds hunted alot. it sounds as if they are call shy. will answer your call but not come  ??? you may want to rethink your approach or try a different area near you.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 11:35:25 AM »
more times than not they come but dont answer ecspecially if your calling is suspect they will just come to investigate but not call back you get bored stand up to move to a different area and flflflflflfl
they take off were there the whole time just didnt call back usually if they call back but dont come they are with hens already and will never come whats the old saying dont leave fish to find fish ;D

Offline skundl

• Forked
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2005, 08:12:55 PM »
hunted the last two days   only was able to find hens   didnt hear a gobble  could it be the weather?

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 10:04:40 PM »
no if the hens are out so are the toms probably theyve either been bred already orhavnt been "discovered" by any toms or all the toms in the area were already harvested?

Offline skundl

• Forked
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2005, 08:31:30 PM »
It isnt from toms being harvested around here.  Im still blaming it on the weather.  Didnt make it out today, probably in the am.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2005, 08:51:44 PM »
if the hens are out it aint the weather thats keeping the toms away

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 06:31:26 AM »
if there are hen sthen there is toms some where within the area this time of yr. they
are probably not answering due to them being with the hens. i do beleave that the weather this yr has slowed them from henning up to quick. you may want to check out a different area to hunt or just sit and be patient. or try to call the hens in near you and see if a tom comes along with them. alot of the older and matchure birds will
come in silent and not gobble at all.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Spiked
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2005, 07:14:13 AM »
If you have the time, then sit and wait them out.  Some gobblers will breed a hen in the morning then start looking for another later on like at 10:00. I've got a couple doing that.

Offline skundl

• Forked
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2005, 07:23:17 AM »
Had a hen answer me at daylight a few times followed by nothing.  Stuck it out, at 645am two hens snuck through followed by two adult toms.  All came in silent.  Was able to drop the second tom 20 pounds 10 thick beard and 1 inch spurs.  Actually bagged this bird sitting under the same tree I bagged another big tom two years ago.  I actually think the first tom was bigger today but I couldnt get him because the hens would have made me.  Now  I need to find him.  maybe tomorrow.  Anyone know how to post pics, have some good ones.

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2005, 07:31:19 AM »
good job skundl. that sounds like one nice bird. hope you can get the other 1. i to live in wny and i know what you are saying about the weather. hopefully i can fill my 2nd tag this w/e. good luck the rest of the season. :)

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2005, 08:13:42 AM »
Congrats, Skundl! I'm going to PM you my email address.
If you can send a pic to me I'll post it for you.
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Spiked
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2005, 11:48:41 AM »
Watched 3 hens for over an hour May 1 and I'm now convinced it takes longer than one hour for a turkey to grow a beard.  Never heard a gobble; saw 25 deer.  Maybe next weekend when it warms up a little.

Offline skundl

• Forked
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2005, 01:50:54 PM »
d man thanks for the pic   maybe you can show me how to do it some time

Offline pieman1998

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2005, 04:59:18 PM »
i hope this weekend is better then the last one  i realy went my son to get one :)
love the outdoors

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal