Author Topic: Stories of First Deer  (Read 14922 times)

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
Re: Stories of First Deer
« Reply #30 on: Nov 01, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »
I was 12, last day of season. We were headed to my uncles cabin to skin a couple elk, headed down the driveway we see a couple of does and a tiny spike whitetail. "Dad says shoot em in the head!" Hop out, sratch him behind the ear, and pop... Pretty sure the neighbor had been feeding it apples all fall cause he sure was tasty!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #31 on: Nov 01, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
Great storys everyone.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
my first was a crotch horn that weighed 158lbs. i was sittin alone w/ my sinlge shot 20ga. i know, i know i was too young to be alone but things were much different back then it seemed. about an hour after i got off the bus at my grandfathers house this guy come trottin by me headed down a stone wall. i didnt even try to stop him or think of it for that matter. i cocked the hammer, drew a bead on his chest and touched her off! busted up his shoulder heart and some lung and he was history. i had seen piles of them shot in front of me tagging along w/ my dad way back when my orange still dragged on the grpound but this one def. got me hooked and ever since november is pretty much my reason for living .....

Offline BowME

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Nov 01, 2012, 04:42:56 PM »
That pic is a classic! Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Nov 01, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »
i forgot to add that was the first deer i ever gutted that had weddin tackle. i scratched my head a little on how to work around that but i got through it lol. i had done lots of them prior w/ pa's help, then on my own w/ him overseeing but none w/ junk attatched. im not sure that the ol man has gutted one since.....

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
This is a great thread.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #36 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »

It is  ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #37 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
Yep..   Wish I wasn't to old to remember... 8)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #38 on: Nov 01, 2012, 09:08:04 PM »
Yep..   Wish I wasn't to old to remember... 8)
99 is old  8)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Nov 01, 2012, 10:25:01 PM »
This is a great thread.

Thanks! Like I said I saw it on another site and loved seeing the old photos and reading all the stories. Keep'em comin!

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
« Reply #40 on: Nov 02, 2012, 06:10:56 AM »
Tallywhackah, that picture is priceless!! I especially like the oversized hat pulled over your ears.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #41 on: Nov 02, 2012, 06:36:32 AM »
99 is old  8)

Not sure if its old age because I cant remember or the 60 something Grateful Dead shows I went to... ::) 8)

Nice hat Wackah...    ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012, 06:43:20 AM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline MEhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #42 on: Nov 02, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »
Great stories guys! Keep them coming.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Nov 02, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »
thanks guys, that pic was taken in front of my other grandparents house, made dad take me everywheres to show that baby off lol also, bar and chain still comes in the same jug as it did back then :P

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
« Reply #44 on: Nov 02, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
My first was when I was 17.  I was late getting in to where I was going to sit for the afternoon so I was half running up a tote road to get there.  I heard something rustling in the leaves so I stopped running and I see legs through the trees.  There was about 6 inches of dry oak leaves on the ground so I took a few steps and got up onto a rock so I could be more quiet.  I know now that it was a deer and I had my 30-30 up and was tracking it through the trees.  There was a little opening about 20 yards in front of me and right before the deer got there I saw his antlers, he had his nose right on the ground following a doe.  My heart really went crazy then.  As soon as he stepped into the opening I fired and he just stood there.  I thought to myseld there's no way I just missed this thing at 20 yards.  I jacked another shell and and then he took off running.  Luckily he tipped over after about 20 or 30 yards.  I walked up to him and was amazed at the amount of blood, he must have been spraying like crazy before he went down.  It looked like a 5 gallon bucket was dumped out.  I'd never seen a deer gutted because my dad didn't really hunt much so I started to drag him home undressed.  It was about a half mile drag luckily mostly downhill.  He ended up dressing at 174 or 178, I can't remember.  That was a lot of live weight for a 17 year old to drag, I know that much. Turns out he was my biggest so far, 5 points but a wide, full sized rack.  No digital pictures of him.  It's amazing how you can remember every little detail of all the deer you kill.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal