Author Topic: 2010 deer season  (Read 14578 times)

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
Re: 2010 deer season
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
took the granson and the gun for a walk on opening day feels like i hiked 10 miles ,seems like we saw a hunter behind or in every tree we passed sad thing is i don't think we moved anything cause no one was doing any shooting talk to a police officer when we came out for coffee and he said he hadnt been on a car/deer call this fall most of the brooks in the area are dried up even the big swamp has less water then years past  saw very few buck rubs  good thing is i get to go out again on monday

Offline Coach

• 6 Pointer
  • member of the Durham Boys
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »
Went out yesterday to sit in the stands, hadn't been there an hour and here comes a Coyote right pass by buddy in my other stand and he couldn't get a shot. So we tried across the street and ran into another Coyote, not going to be a good year.
2011 Buck Wild, 2012 Tine Lords

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
My opening was pretty slow action wise. Had 2 yearling doe walk by about 30 ft away. I was sitting on the point of a finger ridge overlooking an acorn stand.

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Spiked
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »
We had are best opening day ever.We tagged three bucks.A spikehorn that weighed 130,a 4 pointer that weighed 152,and i got a 5 pointer that weighed 140.We all saw deer before shooting deer.I saw two deer driving in to my brothers driveway in the morning.The woods showed more deer sign then I have seen in years.Between scrapes and rubs on trees,and just tracks everywhere.They have been doing alot of timber cutting around where we hunt and the deer have a smaller area to hide in now.Turkeys are a pain while hunting deer,I counted 65 birds in a flock,65 birds feeding through the woods,makes quite  a noise.It is hard to sit on a stand with 65 turkeys milling around you.We should be allowed one turkey a day in Maine during deer season.Good luck to everyone and be safe out there,there are alot of hunters in the woods this year,We heard shooting all around us on opening day,so please be safe.I am glad I am done,too many people in the woods this year.LLS

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »
Went out yesterday to sit in the stands, hadn't been there an hour and here comes a Coyote right pass by buddy in my other stand and he couldn't get a shot. So we tried across the street and ran into another Coyote, not going to be a good year.
time to start hunting them coach

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »
had a slow opening morning only saw one at a distance, saw 4 this morning and had the cross hairs up on a nice doe needed her to make one more step and she scented me first, never got the shot
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline holden222

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »
Slow opening day for us, I had one coming to me but I couldn't see it through the bushes, it blew and turned around and ran back up the hill. Saw a bunch of pawings in the roads and a few rubs but not a whole lot of activity besides that. Scouted more this off season than I have in a long time and I am still disappointed in the lack of sign around. Where are people seeing a majority of their deer? Field edges, oak ridges, apple trees, fresh chops? I think most acorns are on the ground by now as well as apples, we haven't had major frost in the southernish part of the state so there are still green vegetation around. I guess I can safely say I know where the deer are not. Not having much luck figuring out what feed they are looking for. Gotta keep trying new spots I guess.

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
 ;D iam hearing rain coming in for the end of the week sounds like good still hunting weather  bring it on

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »
Slow opening day for us, I had one coming to me but I couldn't see it through the bushes, it blew and turned around and ran back up the hill. Saw a bunch of pawings in the roads and a few rubs but not a whole lot of activity besides that. Scouted more this off season than I have in a long time and I am still disappointed in the lack of sign around. Where are people seeing a majority of their deer? Field edges, oak ridges, apple trees, fresh chops? I think most acorns are on the ground by now as well as apples, we haven't had major frost in the southernish part of the state so there are still green vegetation around. I guess I can safely say I know where the deer are not. Not having much luck figuring out what feed they are looking for. Gotta keep trying new spots I guess.
if your seeing some sign id stick it out there a little longer if the acorns still have ther hats on the deer will still be after them

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »
Most of the deer I've seen are concentrated and focusing on the acorns.  Haven't seen hardly any sign in the clover fields, but several local oak ridges are all pawed up.  Passed on a couple small 60-70 pounders coming in to eat acorns in the same spot I missed the chance at a doe this morning

Offline icefisha22

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »
you mean you didn't want to shoot bambi? i woulda shot bambi and eaten him in front of thumper and the skunk  ;D. haha. well the small ones do taste the best.

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
you mean you didn't want to shoot bambi? i woulda shot bambi and eaten him in front of thumper and the skunk  ;D. haha. well the small ones do taste the best.
haha, I just know that you wont shoot one this year, so got a get a big one to last all of ice fishing season

Offline icefisha22

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:27:54 AM »
haha, I just know that you wont shoot one this year, so got a get a big one to last all of ice fishing season

Well if i wasnt such a nice guy i woulda already gotten a 4 pointer

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
saw a monster 10 pointer on the way into work last night slowed down to make a turn and as iam turning he walks out onto the shoulder of the road  stops and looks right at me i put the lights on low beam and he walked out into the road stops and looks at me again i shut the lights out and left the parking lights on and he still stands there i turned the lights back on and he turned and went back in from where he came from he would tip the scales well above 200 i dont think he had a tine less then 8 inch to bad i didnt have a camera

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2010, 03:41:35 AM »
got in to the woods on friday first half hr jumped a buck and doe couldnt take a shot i was hunting with2 other guys so called them and we meant on a tote road amd made plans shawn took a stand o the tote road and i made my way up the oak ridge i could still see shawn so i pointed to him that i was going to circle around him at the bottom of the ridge  i turn take 1 step and shawn lets 2 shots fly  he took a nice little doe 115 lbs we jumped another in the after noon but could not make out its gender never saw the head  slow day for a rainy day , at the tagging station they said its a strange year its mostly big deer coming in to be tagged 6 deer already over the 200 mark average weight is 130 not many skippers  hope this doesnt mean the skippers didnt make it  will get a picture posted  time to get ready for the days hunt good luck to all

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal