Author Topic: Tracking snowshoes  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Nubbie
Tracking snowshoes
« on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:11:50 PM »
Please bear with me as Im still fairly new to the world of hunting. I'll be doing some footwork looking for hare signs and have a few spots picked out to search. By chance is anyone willing to let me know general areas to look in case my spots are a bust? Not asking for specifics, just a starting point. I think I know what habitats to look for and I'll be alone or with one other person, no dogs to work with so I know I'll be in for a bit of a challenge. I didn't get out nearly enough for squirrels this season, and I don't like relying on my one friend who hunts to bring me out every time.

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
Re: Tracking snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
Look for thick softwood areas next to swamps. Pretty tough on snow without a dog.
You should have started before it snowed, they stick out like a sore thumb on bare ground.
Watch under brush piles or overhanging branches. look for their eyes, lots of times it's the 1st thing you notice.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2016, 11:02:16 AM by cjg »

Offline Seamonkey84

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »
I looked the few times I was out squirrel hunting, but didn't see any. I figured now there's snow I can at least find tracks to know they are in the area.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »
I have such trouble posting pics and vids on this site so I not gonna try. But!, on my FB  I posted a vid a couple days ago that's about 19 minutes long that I made with my GoPro cam one day last December.  It would give you an idea of the types of cover to look for. We run dogs and usually kill around 100 each year (136 last year) and we start them in hard wood swamps, spruce thickets, bull pine plantations and everything you can think of.

-Brandon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal