Author Topic: Lets talk black powder  (Read 3109 times)

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
Lets talk black powder
« on: Nov 09, 2016, 09:25:05 PM »
I have a TC OMEGA its an older one that was made in Rochester NH. I picked it up used for cheap and have killed a pile of deer with it and since have become mildly addicted to muzzle loader hunting. I have been having an issue with it soft striking or hitting the edge on the 209 primer and it not going off. I don't think it's worth the money to have it fixed when I only paid 100 bucks for it so I'm going to upgrade and was wondering what you guys are running and what you like or dislike about them. Thanks -Jeff

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
Re: Lets talk black powder
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2016, 01:10:35 PM »
A few years ago I purchased the CVA Optima from wal-mart. My first smoke pole. Slapped an old 3X9 tasco on it and tagged a spike last season with it. ;D No doubt I like it. It levels real nice but I particularly like the thumbhole stock. I wish all my rifles had them now. I also like the fact that it is stainless and less susceptible to fouling but you still have to keep on top of it cleaning wise. Breech plug is easily removed with fingers. The next model CVA up from that, accura I think, has the bergara barrels like the TC's do. If memory serves me correctly, CVA has an affiliation with bergara and they make barrels for TC. The bergara barrels bore are basically held to tighter tolerances than others, therefore are more costly and inherently more accurate, although unless you're shooting from a bench in a controlled environment the difference is probably negligible. I was in the process of having a friend get me a TC with big discount when I held that CVA @wally world and cancelled the TC order. Stainless was the big determining factor for me.
Your TC probably just needs a good cleaning and a few disposable parts, $50 I bet.

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »
I also have the CVA optima with the break open action to load 209 primer. I like the open sites and hit bulls at 75 yds right off the shelf.. Nice gun for the $ and is 6 or 7 years old.
2  years ago I shot a 105 lb doe with it. I changed to a lighter sabot and forgot to adjust sites. I hit high on the doe and broke its back.It was still alive I had to reload and finish it off. I like to hunt with it but hope to be tagged out by then .

There is already a thread going in the equipment and firearm section if you need more feedback.

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »
I also have the CVA optima with the break open action to load 209 primer. I like the open sites and hit bulls at 75 yds right off the shelf.. Nice gun for the $ and is 6 or 7 years old.
2  years ago I shot a 105 lb doe with it. I changed to a lighter sabot and forgot to adjust sites. I hit high on the doe and broke its back.It was still alive I had to reload and finish it off. I like to hunt with it but hope to be tagged out by then .

There is already a thread going in the equipment and firearm section if you need more feedback.
Thanks for the info, I hunt NH as well and their smoke pole season is before the rifle season so I use mine every year at least early season but sometimes in Maine as well if need be.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2016, 05:21:28 PM »

I have the TC ENCORE in the 50 cal. very very accurate with 110 grain prodex with 240 Horndey sabot
          Got the shot gun barrel plus the 280 rifle barrel l use it all the time . Sure it is a little more money but
          it is 3 guns in one .

Offline marabou

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
So last season at the end of the year wally was selling the cva that Alex is talking about at a very reduced price so if you could wait you might be able to find your self a real deal. So good I ended up buying three of them and give them as Christmas gifts

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »
I saw today walmart had  few in stock, I'm not sure if they clear them out after the late season or not.

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2016, 03:40:32 AM »
Here is a thread from two years ago that may interest you:
http://www.myhuntingforum.com/hunting_forum/index.php?topic=10911.0

You've got my curiosity up about ML Hunting in NH.  Have a camp on Aziscohos Lake that I hunt out of, NH border is right near the West shore of the lake and I know you can hunt on Sunday's in NH.  That area of NH I believe is region A.  Not looking for any specifics just wondering what your thoughts are about region A.  I'm considering buying a NH license next year so that I can have the option of hunting West of Aziscohos in NH  as well as in Maine when I'm up there deer hunting out of camp,

Thanks,
Aziscohosbuck
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 03:50:08 AM by Aziscohosbuck »

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:00:07 AM »
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 04:01:16 AM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline MEhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »

You've got my curiosity up about ML Hunting in NH.  Have a camp on Aziscohos Lake that I hunt out of, NH border is right near the West shore of the lake and I know you can hunt on Sunday's in NH.  That area of NH I believe is region A.  Not looking for any specifics just wondering what your thoughts are about region A.  I'm considering buying a NH license next year so that I can have the option of hunting West of Aziscohos in NH  as well as in Maine when I'm up there deer hunting out of camp,

Thanks,
Aziscohosbuck

You're in an awesome area. Northern NH has an excellent deer herd. You're not far from some darn good big woods hunting. A lot of the places get really good later in the season. Region A closes a week earlier than the rest, but you're not far from where you can hunt that last week into December as well. I spend 75-80% of my time hunting NH now rather than Maine. Seems like a lot less hunters, especially during muzzleloader. Have the woods virtually to yourself.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016, 10:37:11 AM by MEhunter »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal