Author Topic: Yesteryears in the Upstate world. Few more added....  (Read 9084 times)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: Yesteryears in the Upstate world.
« Reply #30 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
Definately not healthy.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #31 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
And the legs were a lot longer than most yotes I've killed or seen.
Thought maybe a wolf....but the state says none here.... ::) ::) 8)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #32 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
Great pics Upstate, thanks for sharing.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Yesteryears in the Upstate world. A few more....
« Reply #33 on: Sep 13, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

The first pic has my dad in the back center...he was in one of the last lumber camps that Ward lumber had in Newcomb. 1940-1948 until my mother had a fit that my brothers were going to freeze to death... :o
Next is the cabin at Ross pond. Great Gramp and Gramp built it to host the "sports" on trips. Was there from 1930's until the 1960's when the state told them to get their stuff and they burnt it.... :(  Must have been great to be in there with them, and the stories. The next is the game pole they fashioned every year....They burnt the poles after the season was over to help keep the bears away.  The one on the right is my great uncle Scott, who I was named for. I never knew him, but was told by an old timer in Indian lake a few years ago, he was a good man. Served his town, and a good woodsman.
Next up is my Dad with his first Blanket beaver. He bought a rifle with the money from that. LOL Not able to do that anymore.
The float planes are from Helms Air service. My dad piloted for him occasionally. Sure beats heading in to icefish with a snowmobile or fourwheeler... :P Date on the pic shows this as May 12TH in 1959....And still that much snow and ice...
Last is one of Herbs planes ready for take off in Long lake...

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Sep 13, 2011, 01:49:01 PM »
Great pics and stories!  I think Long Lake still has the same floating dock!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #35 on: Sep 13, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
Sure looks like it doesn't it??? LOL That pic is dated in 1949 I think. Shows a C05049 on the old Kodak paper.... :-\

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Yesteryears in the Upstate world. Few more added....
« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »
Not sure how I missed this thread. Great pics from the past upstatehunter. 8)

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »
I took a ride out of Long Lake in 2002, but don't remember who I did it with.  Rode in a Cessna, but would have much preferred a Beaver or Cub.

First pic is cool too - means the guys in that pic may have interacted with Noah John Rondeau as well - time and place is right.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #38 on: Sep 13, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »
Not sure if they ever knew him or not. He was a ways from here, by the Cold river. That place in the pics is between Indian lake and North river, back in towards the Hudson some 3.5 miles. Neat part was they had my grandfathers wagon and one of his teams to pull the stuff in and out, and later on they bought a army Jeep. Could drive to within 100' my father said.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Sep 13, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
Not sure if they ever knew him or not. He was a ways from here, by the Cold river.

Right, but if I remember the book correctly, he typically came out on the south side for the winter.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #40 on: Sep 13, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »
Love that old cabin.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #41 on: Sep 13, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »
Remember hearing he spent winters in Indian lake or Long Lake or Raquette lake...not sure... :-[ :-\ Should know too....
I've read the book a few times and used to do a lot of research on the area. Especially when my family was being written about by Dr. Dan O'Keeffe....And C.R. Severence.  Dr. Dan still has a camp up the road from me, on the end of Gore in the valley of Raymond brook. Not sure if he is still with us or not. He was in his 70's when he was writing. He and my Dad were about the same age, and became good friends when they were kids. Dan's family used mine to guide them, so Dad would keep Dan occupied while they hunted, until they were old enough to go as well....

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #42 on: Sep 13, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing...
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #43 on: Sep 13, 2011, 06:57:55 PM »
way cool pics upstate! some real nice deer i love looking at photos from back in the day, keep em comin
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline mschott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Sep 13, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »
great pics upstate  thanks for sharing
Bad decisions make for good stories !

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal