Author Topic: Yougsters first gun?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Wkules

• Forked
  • Always be sure of your target!
Yougsters first gun?
« on: Oct 22, 2005, 12:37:04 PM »
Its time for my son to get his first gun! He's used my Browning Sweet 16 for target practice in the past but I was wondering what you folks think is a good choice for his first field gun. We will be hunting various small game and turkey. I want his first gun to be a single shot for safety issues while walking in the field. I am leaning toward a .410 as he is a small guy and I don't want to beat him up too bad but here in NY, but he will then need something larger when he is old enough to hunt deer. Any opinions?
Nothing better than dawn in the field!

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
Re: Yougsters first gun?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2005, 12:51:01 PM »
i know your looking for a shot gun but if you can find a used new england fire arms rifle really inexpensive i would get it and then send out for a shot gun barrel, you can fit shot gun barrels to their rifle but you cant fit rifle barrels to their shot guns. other than that i would say that a h/r toper Jr. in .410 would be a good shotgun for him.  check this out     www.hr1871.com         its got details on all h/r and new england fireamrs guns
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2005, 02:02:11 PM »
I started my first licensed year of hunting on a 20 gauge, I felt it was right for me at the age of twelve, by 15 I think people can handle just about anything.  I moved to a 12 gauge at age 15 and started at hunting deer at twelve with a .308.  Just start smaller and work your way up, before you know it they will be ordering cannons, it doesn't take long for them to handle big guns, just be sure they start small, because even though I could shoot a large gun at 12 it made me develope a flinch.  I have gotten over it now but it took me a couple of years and a few missed deer.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline killditrite

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2005, 03:35:07 PM »
at 10 yrs old my dad bought me a H&R 20 guage single shot and it was perfect. i went on to bag a lot of small game with that sweet little shotgun and i gave it to my son 3 yrs ago when he was 10.  ;)  it is in near perfect condition

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2005, 06:24:41 PM »
Baikal / Spartan Arms has some nice .20 and .410 single shots - might be worth a look.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2005, 02:25:30 PM »
He will out-grow a .410 very quickly.
Invest in a junior 20 gauge, I think you will both be happier with it.
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2005, 06:33:20 PM »
Stoeger makes a 20 ga single shot with a changeable choke system for $100. That's what I'm getting my son tomorrow at Bass Pro.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Wkules

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2005, 08:47:25 PM »
Thanks folks,
I am leaning toward the .20 but I do plan to research the combo style with interchangeable barrels that Shrub mentioned before I make my final decision. That seems to be an interesting avenue to persue. By the way, thanks for the link Shrub, very interesting.

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:20:36 PM »
Thanks folks,
I am leaning toward the .20 but I do plan to research the combo style with interchangeable barrels that Shrub mentioned before I make my final decision. That seems to be an interesting avenue to persue. By the way, thanks for the link Shrub, very interesting.

no prob. let us know what you end up doing
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2005, 09:43:57 AM »
I would recommend a 20 guage pump and just have him load one shot at a time.  That's what my dad did for me and this way when he is ready for deer hunting you don't need to get a different gun.  A 20 guage shouldn't kick too bad or be too heavy for small game hunting and if you get a 3" chamber you can get 20 guage turkey loads in the 3".  As for deer, our hunting group has taken more deer with 20s than any other guage gun there is since that is what most of us now shoot.  Ithica's are by far the most popular in our group but new ones are expensive and they are now out of business.  Mossberg makes some nice guns at resonable prices and I've also got a Winchester 20 that I really like.  Good luck.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2005, 11:28:09 AM »
My first real gun was a single shot 410 for my 10th birthday.  I hunt with it for small game til this day, and am quite deadly with it.  It has shot many grouse rabbits, woodcock, pheasants, quail, chukkar and turkey. 
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2005, 11:55:58 AM »
I started with a .22 and a .410 but my first real rifle was a .303 british and I think I'll always have one. Just a really reliable all around cartridge that won't beat you up. As far as a shotgun goes, Remington model 870 Wingmaster in 12ga. Might be a little tough for a smaller kid to handle at first but they're the most dependable shotgun out there.
My 2 cents
KRIS
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »
Wkules,
Rossi arms makes a wonderful starter gun for a new hunter it is a combo single shot that comes w/ a .22 barrel and either a .410 or 20ga. barrel. around a $100. at dicks or gander mount. I bought one for my son.Also 12 yrs. old and on the small side. He loves the gun and I love having the single shot for saftey reasons. I bought the .410 but kind of wish I had bought the 20 ga. That way we could use it for turkey. I'm in WNY and I don't think you can hunt turkey w/ a .410.  Good luck w/ your son.

Offline Wkules

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2005, 05:25:39 PM »
Thanks Millermankt, That pretty much sounds exactly like what I am looking for. How long and heavy is it? It doesn't sound llike it is too bad. How much did they get you for the second barrel?

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2005, 10:09:39 PM »
Wkutes,
The second barrel is included w/ the gun. It is a a smaller framed gun and very light weight. I feel funny shooting it, but like I said he's on the small side and it fits him great !!! I want him to be comfortable w/ hunting, just like fishing. If he's not, he's not going to enjoy it and lose interest. Good luck and let me know how you make out !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal