Author Topic: Profesional Hunter ?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
Profesional Hunter ?
« on: Oct 17, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
I'm curious as to what constitutes someone as a professional hunter ? Been watching our "" professional hunters "" here in Canada and as such there re quite a few who I feel fall under that category ............BUT when one of them starts his daughter out in the field and she is now selling herself as a "" Professional Hunter "" ? well I'm kinda ticked as it seems more like someone is using daddies shirt tails as a riding post ! I watch the hunting shows and there are a lot of female hunters ....most are professional in my eyes ....and I'm all for it  but this one just seems  ? well she hasn't been doing this for to long and now to sell yourself off as a professional ? What would you consider a professional ? someone who travels a lot world wide ? someone who is successful in there hunts ?? Again I'm all for women in the field hunting etc , I think it would be awesome to have your partner/spouse / daughter . other   as your hunting partner .

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
Re: Profesional Hunter ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
I think someone whom is a professional hunter is just someone who gets paid to do the tv shows. that doesn't mean they are any good though. when you see these guys wacking these high fence bucks it doesn't mean anything. and even when there not in a fenced area they more then likely have a guide with them. a lot of these people are no more then entertainers that just happened to land an awesome job. I don't think some of these "professional hunters" could hold a candle to some of the great hunters that will never be known as anything other then a great hunter to their buddies, and Id be willing to bet the great hunters arent doing it for the fame or fortune. lets see some of these tv personalities come to maine, new hampshire, or vermont and be as consistant as some of the people from the area are that are doing it without guides, or fences.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
I'm curious as to what constitutes someone as a professional hunter ? Been watching our "" professional hunters "" here in Canada and as such there re quite a few who I feel fall under that category ............BUT when one of them starts his daughter out in the field and she is now selling herself as a "" Professional Hunter "" ? well I'm kinda ticked as it seems more like someone is using daddies shirt tails as a riding post ! I watch the hunting shows and there are a lot of female hunters ....most are professional in my eyes ....and I'm all for it  but this one just seems  ? well she hasn't been doing this for to long and now to sell yourself off as a professional ? What would you consider a professional ? someone who travels a lot world wide ? someone who is successful in there hunts ?? Again I'm all for women in the field hunting etc , I think it would be awesome to have your partner/spouse / daughter . other   as your hunting partner .
I think your talking Eva here and have to agree 100 percent with you here I believe since she is a cute blonde and daddy has and owns guide services and has now 3 tv shows she is just ridding off dad

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »
Exactly ! I don't care if daddy is a great hunter (  I admire those who can live that lifestyle 24/7 ) , but when you sell your own daughter off as a professional ? O well ,........I certainly will not be watching any shows where she's in  , to bad it kinda kills the rest of what daddy does 

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
I believe the last really great one was Peter Hathaway Capstick. I know he hunted over bait, but I will forgive him for that. At least it wasn't bait that came from a bag...h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline bigbuck97

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
if you need a reserve or a guide you my friend are not a "professional hunter". just my thoughts.

Offline oldpro51

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:11:11 PM »
Well I have to disagree...... there are many great professional hunters .... those are the guides that set the stands .... do the scouting ....hang the trail cameras... and plant the food plots .. LONG BEFORE the so called pro hunters from the tv shows get into camp.... all THE HUNTING is done well in advance by the guides ... the TV pro aren't the hunters ... the tv pros are nothing more than deer shooters with pictures and a hit list in hand when they are led by hand to their stand !!!!!

Offline bigbuck97

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:54:59 PM »
that's who I was talking about

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2014, 04:46:20 AM »
A professional to me is someone who gets paid to promote various hunting items on tv. Calls, scents. A true professional is someone who teaches their kids from a young age to respect nature and consistently can brag to their buddies what they got hanging in the garage  8)
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »
To me, a professional hunter is someone that makes their living by hunting.  In my opinion guides are professional hunters.  The individuals you see on televised hunting showed are not professional hunters as much as they are salesmen.  They earn their living by selling themselves to sponsors.  Hunting is just the vehicle they use to promote themselves.  Many of these individuals do not posess any greater ability to hunt than you or I.  But they are on tv promoting themselves and harvesting huge trophy animals, therefore people see them as great hunters.  Not so.  Many of the guides around the country that have trophy animals on their territories put them out for bid.  I've been told by a guide, "There's a huge twelve point around the area you are going to hunt.  Do not shoot it!  It's reserved for a television show coming to the area in a couple weeks."  I got a good laugh out if that.  Many of my friends that go on guided hunts run into this regularly.   Just because someone purchases the rights to trophy animals, hocks the latest "must have" crap, and harvests trophy animals does not make them a professional hunter.

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2014, 07:43:33 PM »
The hunters that went out and pursued dangerous game as well as all the other animals that they were allowed to hunt without any endorsements were the real trophy hunters for me , you'd read about them and the stories came alive in my imagination , that was a trophy hunter in my mind , a true professional who did what they knew best .......some got there fame only because what they did was brought to someone's attention , they never looked for it . I've taught numerous young people to hunt , taught the ethic's etc and most are still hunting , now I have five more young boys who are ready to start , but I'm no professional , I hunt , for food , the chase , and the fulfilment of doing what I believe comes naturally if you allow it .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal