Author Topic: chronic wasting disease  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Wyoming Larry

• Forked
chronic wasting disease
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:04:25 AM »
I saw this eagle in my pasture yesterday. I went out today to see what it might have been up too. And I found this recently killed mule deer buck. There was a large area of ground that was covered with deer hair and some eagle feathers. I have seen other sites where eagles (both bald and golden) have killed deer and antelope. This looks similar. I talked to my neighbor. He said he had been watching this same buck. He said it seemed very sick and possibly had chronic wasting disease. I contacted the G&F to see if they would check it out. I hate to see this disease show up this close to home. But it keeps spreading.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: chronic wasting disease
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
Thats to bad. That was a nice buck..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:54:47 AM »
doesnt look like cwd

you wont mistake a critter dead from cwd
looks like wooly hide stretched over a skeleton, thats the Wasting part of cWd.

that looks like dogs, a car or E.H.D. and sometimes things just die...put gloves on and skin it, if there are bites their location will tell you what bit it, or youll find bloodshot meat and bruising from a car, bone marrow will show you if its a disease, EHD kills very quickly

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
Always hate seeing things happen to the bucks not as bad when it is a doe

Offline Wyoming Larry

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2019, 04:31:01 AM »
SlickRockHounds

G&F  came out and looked.  Said it was CWD.  I think the eagle may have finished it off while still alive.  The buck had been seen staggering around the neighbors for a while.  I had a doe show up looking pretty bad a week or so later.  It went down and the magpies were on her while she was still alive.  She got up wandered off.  I have not found her.  Several years ago I found a whitetail buck that looked like you describe. 
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2019, 04:33:35 AM by Wyoming Larry »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal